What happened to Libby Squire and when did she disappear? – The US Sun

IN 2019, 21-year-old Libby Squire disappeared after spending a night out with friends.

Tragically, her body was discovered 48 days later following one of the largest missing persons cases ever conducted by Humberside Police.

Libby Squire disappeared after spending a night out with friends


Libby Squire disappeared after spending a night out with friendsPhoto credit: PA

Who was Libby Squire?

Libby Squire was a 21-year-old student from High Wycombe, Bucks.

She was born on New Year’s Day 1998 to parents Lisa and Russ Squire.

Before her death, Libby studied philosophy at the University of Hull.

When did Libby Squire disappear?

In 2019, 21-year-old Libby Squire disappeared after a night out.

On January 31, she met friends for drinks before going to a club where she was refused entry because she was too drunk.

Libby was seen taking a cab from the nightclub.

An extensive manhunt was conducted for the student before being narrowed down on February 16, 2019. However, investigators continued to investigate new leads.

More than 70 police officers had searched for the philosophy student at the University of Hull.

Libby’s body was later discovered in the Humber Estuary on March 20, 2019 by the crew of a passing boat.

What happened the night Libby went missing?

Libby was reported missing after leaving the Welly Club in Hull and getting into a taxi around 11pm on Thursday 31 January.

The student didn’t actually enter the club as she was “turned away by the door staff who thought she was too drunk”.

Her friends put her in a cab that dropped Libby off near her home, but she “ran away from the safety of her front door” and headed for Beverley Road.

She was later seen “obviously drunk” and “sobbing” by passers-by – including two men who saw the student lying in the snow by the side of the road.

The jury heard bystanders trying to help her, but they couldn’t understand what she was saying and she became verbally aggressive, so they drove away.

A group of students who heard Libby crying outside her home let her in, but she left saying she wanted to go home, sources said.

The last person to see Libby alive told jurors she either yelled “movement in the shadows” or a car near where she was sitting on the ground.

Unnoticed by Libby, then-26-year-old Pawel Relowicz was prowling the streets in search of a victim when he came across the “extremely vulnerable” student.

Libby begged Relowicz to take her to her mother, but instead he hauled her into his silver Vauxhall Astra and drove her to the isolated pitch, where frantic screams were later heard.

Around seven and a half minutes later, Relowicz left the field without Libby.

Prosecutor Richard Wright QC said that was “more than enough time” to “take or chase Libby onto the playing fields, sexually assault and kill her, dump her body in the river and then run back to his car”.

An autopsy could not determine a cause of death, but found DNA matching Relowicz’s, it said.

Libby’s funeral was held at 1pm on 3 October 2019 at St Lawrence’s Church in West Wycombe. Hundreds of people gathered to pay their last respects.

Who is Pawl Relowicz?

At the time of Libby’s tragic murder, Pawel Relowicz was a butcher who had moved to Britain from Poland.

He was also married to Jagoda Relowicz – the mother of his two children.

Relowicz was imprisoned for life for at least 27 years


Relowicz was imprisoned for life for at least 27 yearsPhoto credit: PA

Relowicz grew up in Warszewice, a small village between Warsaw and Gdansk in northern Poland of just over 600 people, before moving to the UK in 2012, aged just 18.

After leaving Poland he established a life with his wife and took a job as a butcher in Hull to support her and his two young children.

Neighbors and colleagues saw him only as a hardworking factory worker, a family man and someone who liked to go to the gym.

But even before the brutal murder, it was known that Relowicz lurked in secret, performing perverted sexual acts on himself just meters from young students in Hull.

He would also violate people’s homes and steal intimate items – including underwear and sex toys.

In 2021, his distraught wife dumped him after his arrest before returning to Poland with their children.

That same year, Relowicz was found guilty at Sheffield Crown Court of the rape and murder of 21-year-old Libby.

Updates as Seattle Seahawks WR hospitalized for'head and neck injuries'
Lil Tay's death hoax announcement'most likely written by AI'

Relowicz was imprisoned for life for at least 27 years.

He was sentenced to 18 years in prison for simultaneous rape.


PaulLeBlanc is a Dailynationtoday U.S. News Reporter based in London. His focus is on U.S. politics and the environment. He has covered climate change extensively, as well as healthcare and crime. PaulLeBlanc joined Dailynationtoday in 2021 from the Daily Express and previously worked for Chemist and Druggist and the Jewish Chronicle. He is a graduate of Cambridge University. Languages: English. You can get in touch with me by emailing: paulleblanc@dailynationtoday.com.

Related Articles

Back to top button