Motorists are outraged after being banned from driving in their coastal town.
A pedestrianized project expected to cost £250,000 will ban traffic along part of Central Parade in Herne Bay, Kent.
The scheme called Kent Active Travel The project includes the introduction of right and left turn bans, one-way streets and driving bans.
Planned changes to Central Parade, Dolphin Street, Mortimer Street, Pier Avenue, Richmond Street, Station Road, St Georges Terrace and Telford Street are expected to begin in the next few months.
There will also be changes to the existing double yellow lines on Station Road.
The district council launched a consultation that ended on October 6 last year, and opinion was divided.
Of the 183 people who completed the questionnaire, 95 either “disagreed” or “strongly disagreed” with the plan.
Kent County Council also discussed a 20-mile limit to complement active travel proposals.
Many residents argued that the project was “not necessary and a waste of money”.
Michael Taylor, who lives in Spenser Road, told it Kent Online: “All the people who come here at the weekend go to the coast.
“There are no tourist facilities elsewhere for tourists so closing part of the road could put people off. That feels counterproductive.”
However, the council believes this will “boost the local economy and encourage more trips to the city’s pier”.
Councilor Dan Watkins (Conservative) said: “The square and cycle route increase the visitor attraction aspect – people want a nice environment to shop, eat and drink.”
“It will help make the streets cleaner, quieter and ultimately greener, which can only be a good thing.”
“These changes will help make Herne Bay one of the best – if not the best – seaside towns for walkers and cyclists.”
This comes after shoppers were furious that community leaders wasted money painting rickety white lines on a new pedestrian street.
It was all part of a £178,000 project in Worthing, West Sussex.