TV bosses want Conor Benn and Chris Eubank Jr.’s fight to continue in shock reversal despite failed drug tests

CHRIS EUBANK JR vs Conor Benn is beamed across the line by promoter Eddie Hearn.

The British Boxing Board of Control has refused to sanction the fight after Benn, 26, failed a VADA test for a testosterone booster.

The fight between Chris Euabnk Jr. and Conor Benn appears to be back on track

4

The fight between Chris Euabnk Jr. and Conor Benn appears to be back on trackPhoto credit: Getty

But the pressured Matchroom boss is considering three foreign licenses to have the show run at O2 – including Malta or Luxembourg.

Malta sanctioned the duel between Dillian Whyte and Alexander Povetikin, while David Haye’s 2012 win over Derek Chisora ​​was given the green light by the Luxembourg board.

Broadcaster DAZN suffered a major financial hit when Canelo was bombed against Gennady Golovkin last month.

And the sports-streaming app, which has lost around £4billion since it was launched and failed to acquire the rights to the British Premier League, will be drastically damaged if it is forced to ditch all subscribers and pay-per-view Refunding buyers who wanted to see this catchweight fight before it was spoiled.

4

🥊Eubank Jr. vs. Benn: Ringwalk Time, Live Stream, TV Channel & Undercard Info for London Superfight

Hearn met with the BBBofC Thursday morning and has threatened them with a restraining order if they commit to their ban on fighting under their banner.

But competing commissions will jump at the chance to earn recognition and a hefty sanctioning fee, and let the show go on under a terrible cloud.

Just two days before the weigh-in, it was revealed that Benn had failed a pre-fight drug test conducted on Sept. 23, according to SunSport.

He returned a negative result for clomiphene, a drug commonly used to treat infertility in non-ovulating women.

But it can also increase testosterone levels in men, which is why it is on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s banned list.

SunSport also understand there could be an issue with a second test that VADA conducted as part of the WBC’s Clean Boxing Program – but promoter Matchroom declined to comment.

Benn broke his silence to plead his innocence on Wednesday.

He said: “I have committed no infractions. I wasn’t suspended so I think the fight is still going on.

“I spoke to Chris personally and we both want the fight to continue.

“We have both taken medical and legal advice and as I said we want the fight to continue for the fans.

“I’ve signed up for every voluntary anti-doping test there is under the sun.

“I’ve been tested throughout my career. All my UKAD tests have come back negative throughout my career.

“I’ve never had any problems. Even leading up to this fight, my test was negative.

“In this way, my team will find out why my test came up with an initial negative result.

JOIN SUN VEGAS AT: GET A FREE £10 BONUS WITH 100 GAMES TO PLAY AND NO DEPOSIT REQUIRED (T&Cs apply)

“But like I said, the fight goes on. I’m a clean athlete and we’re going to get to the bottom of it.”

But Benn’s claims of speaking to his rival were quashed by Eubank Jr. himself.

He told Matchroom Boxing: “There was no call. We haven’t spoken since this was announced.

“It’s a shame. But my promoters, his promoters, the Boxing Board of Control, they’re going to sort it out.

“I’m ready, I’m clean, I’m at 60 percent. I’ve been tested throughout my career for the last ten years. I was tested more than ever for a fight during that time in training camp.

I don’t condone failed tests

Chris Eubank Jr

“I have an app on my phone where I have to set where I’m going to be each day and I’ve used that app throughout my career and I will be using it for the rest of my career.

“They can come and test me unannounced for blood and urine whenever they see fit and I have never failed a test. I was even tested on vacation.

“I do not condone failed tests.”

The 157-pound catchweight bout was set to come almost 30 years after their fathers’ famous rematch, which ended in a tie.

Eubank had won the brutal original fight three years ago.

Three decades later, a next-generation fight ensued for their sons that would go on to net the duo around £3.5million.

A press conference is expected at 4 p.m. today.

Benn's team wanted a restraining order to continue the fight

4

Benn’s team wanted a restraining order to continue the fightCredit: PA
Eubank still happily scraps despite its rival's controversy

4

Eubank still happily scraps despite its rival’s controversyCredit: Alamy

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/6380589/conor-benn-chris-eubank-fight-failed-drugs-test/ TV bosses want Conor Benn and Chris Eubank Jr.’s fight to continue in shock reversal despite failed drug tests

ClareFora

Daily Nation Today is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@dailynationtoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button