THE “worst pedophile in the world” has been exposed as childcare worker Ashley Griffin.
The alleged sex offender is accused of cruel abuse on an industrial scale with 91 young victims and 1,623 charges against him.
Griffith, 45,’s identity was revealed after he allegedly raped and abused girls at various daycare centers in Queensland, New South Wales and other locations outside Australia.
If convicted of all the alleged crimes, Griffith would be considered the worst pedophile in Australian history.
The alleged crimes occurred over a 15-year period between 2007 and 2022.
At least 23 of his alleged victims were between one and five years old at the time of the abuse.
The Gold Coast man has reportedly been accused of more than 1,600 alleged offenses including rape, indecent treatment of children and the production and possession of child exploitation material Courier mail.
The alarmingly high number of crimes includes 136 cases of rape, 604 cases of indecent treatment of a child and 613 cases of producing child exploitation material in Queensland alone.
According to police, investigators first discovered illegal photos and clips that Griffith had created and published on a dark web platform in 2014.
But it wasn’t until August 2022 that the connection to a daycare center in Brisbane was made when the Australian Federal Police (AFP) saw certain objects in the background of the porn footage.
The alleged sick pedophile was subsequently arrested and charged with producing and distributing child abuse material.
Following his arrest, hundreds more charges were filed after police combed through thousands of images allegedly found on his phone and other devices.
Police allege Griffith raped one of his victims 28 times and sexually abused another a whopping 54 times.
According to public court records, another young girl was allegedly raped 27 times and sexually abused 34 times.
Police believe the offenses took place in Sydney and Brisbane between 2007 to 2013 and 2018 to 2022 and then in Europe in 2013 and 2014.
The AFP said it was “very confident” that 87 children had been identified and their families informed during the investigation.
So many parents were concerned about the high number of alleged crimes that AFP had to share with the public. If authorities have not spoken to them, it is extremely unlikely that their child was a victim.
AFP Assistant Commissioner Justin Gough said: “The AFP is very confident that all Australian children captured in the suspected child abuse materials have been identified.”
“This is a stressful time for families, carers and the community at large.”
Griffith’s identity comes after a new law was announced in Queensland on Tuesday that will “modernize” reporting on such crimes.
The deleted law did not allow suspected rapists to be named before they were tried.
Since the changes came into force, several more accused sex offenders have now been named for the first time.
Griffith remained anonymous since his arrest in 2022 before more than 1,000 child exploitation charges against him were made public a year later.
He was already under investigation for sexual offenses after colleagues reported him to police in October 2021 after they allegedly saw him touching children inappropriately.
The case was dropped due to lack of evidence and he soon returned to his work with children.
Worryingly, he worked as a day care center manager in Brisbane.
His employee profile said: “I love engaging children in meaningful experiences that inspire them to play and learn,” he said.
“Young children are natural explorers, exploring the world with their senses, searching for answers and creating theories.
“As an early childhood educator, I hope to share this journey of learning alongside children and inspiring them.”
Griffith’s charges are due back in court on November 6.