The US has launched a Minuteman III ICBM for the second time in a month.
US Air Force officials said they warned Russia about the launch.
The rocket was launched just after 1 a.m. local time on September 7 from Vandenberg Space Force Base in California.
Officials said the launch was an “operational test” as they described it as “routine.”
Pentagon spokesman Brigadier General Pat Ryder said, “The purpose of the ICBM test launch program is to demonstrate the readiness of U.S. nuclear forces and to instill confidence in the safety and effectiveness of the country’s nuclear deterrent.”
Moscow has been informed of the test in accordance with the new START treaty.
It went into effect in February 2011 and the treaty was extended to 2026 by both Washington DC and Moscow.
According to the State Department, the new START treaty is intended to restrict Russian nuclear weapons.
The last test event came just a few weeks after the launch of a Minuteman III rocket on August 16.
The vehicle covered more than 4,200 miles during the exercise.
Task Force Commander Maj. Armond Wong: “Our test launches are planned well in advance and are not responsive to world events.”
Officials said there is a “meticulous” planning process that begins up to a year in advance.
Col. Chris Cruise, commander of the 576th Flight Test Squadron, said: Make no mistake – our nuclear triad is the cornerstone of the national security of our country and our allies around the world.
“This planned test launch demonstrates how our country’s ICBM fleet exemplifies our weapons system readiness and reliability.
Air Force officials have announced that there have been more than 300 missile tests previously.
The Minuteman III ICBM can fly at speeds of 15,000 mph and has a range of more than 6,000 miles.
A test was supposed to take place on August 4 but was delayed.
https://www.the-sun.com/news/6166269/us-launches-intercontinental-ballistic-missile-test/ The US launches an ICBM for the second time in a month after warning Russia