A former student charged with the killing of three people in the knife and van shooting in Nottingham appeared in court for the first time yesterday – and was allowed to use a pseudonym.
Valdo Calocane, also charged with three counts of attempted murder in the city, appeared calm in the dock and was referred to as Adam Mendes.
West African-born Calocane, 31, appeared for a 10-minute hearing at which he was charged with the murder of students Barnaby Webber and Grace O’Malley-Kumar, both 19, and caretaker Ian Coates, 65.
He is also accused of three attempted murders in the city last Tuesday.
Two pedestrians who survived a collision with a van were first named as Sharon Miller and Marcin Gawronski.
The other was previously named Wayne Birkett, 58.
Calocane confirmed only his name and date of birth and said he had no fixed address as he stood on the glass-backed dock flanked by three security guards.
The defendant – wearing a gray prison T-shirt, gray jogging bottoms and black pumps – glanced nervously towards the bleachers – where half a dozen people were watching the proceedings.
No known family members of the victims were present.
Presiding Judge Allison Folkett told Calocane – who is bearded, has short black hair, and is of medium height and build – that the court granted his request to be also known as Adam Mendes.
The three pedestrians were injured when they were hit by a white Vauxhall Vivaro van.
Mr Birkett was on Milton Street and Ms Miller and Mr Gawronski were on Upper Parliament Street.
One of them was discharged from the hospital.
No bail application was made to the Nottingham JPs and he was not required to file a plea.
Ms Folkett told him: “I am remanding you because of the risk of you committing further criminal offences.”
She referred to him as Mr Mendes when she said he would be returned to the cells.
He will appear before the city’s Crown Court on Tuesday.