MYSTERY has surrounded the fate of Vladimir Putin’s missing admiral, who may have been on the flagship Moskva when it was sunk by Ukrainian missiles a month ago.
Igor Osipov has “not been seen alive” since, suggesting he was on board the ship when it was hit by Ukrainian Neptun missiles, Kyiv sources say.
Originally, Ukraine claimed the commander was arrested amid Putin’s anger over the cruiser’s sinking, while others say he was suspended.
That has never been confirmed by Russian officials, who this week insisted he was at his “combat post” but “not in the mood” to face the public.
Osipov, 49, was conspicuously absent from Monday’s Red Square Victory Day Parade, which he would always attend.
He was also nowhere to be seen at events related to Black Sea Fleet Day this week.
At an event on May 7, it was reported that he was only present to have his name removed later.
Sevastopol Governor Mikhail Razvozhaev said: “Our commander of the Black Sea Fleet, Admiral Igor Vladimirovich Osipov, is now at his combat post.
“Of course he’s not in the mood for social media and congratulations, but I’m sure he and our Black Sea people feel our support.”
Multiple sources say that Osipov has not been seen “alive” since the Black Sea Fleet’s flagship was sunk on April 14.
“The Black Sea Fleet is discussing whether Osipov might have been aboard the cruiser Moskva at the time of the attack,” said a pro-Kyiv source who claimed to have inside information on the Russian Navy.
And the Russian Telegram channel VChK-OGPU said no one had seen Osipov face to face for a month.
Osipov’s signature appeared on documents recently, but has still not been seen publicly.
If he were on the warship, his fate would be obscured by the cover-up thrown by the Russian Defense Ministry over the incident, which is said to have been caused by a fire on board and not a missile attack.
Russia has so far admitted one death on the Moscow River when it is clear many more have been killed.
It is also known that many were injured and were treated in hospitals in several cities.
The father of a missing and presumed dead sailor on the battleship said after meeting top officials last week: “Numbers of dead and wounded on the cruiser Moskva will be clarified by the Black Sea Fleet and the Defense Ministry when they deem it appropriate. “
He had previously accused them of covering up the fate of the crew, around two-thirds of whom are believed to have been conscripts.
Father Dmitry Shkrebets said: “I hope that the causes of the absurd loss of the Black Sea Fleet flagship will be thoroughly investigated by the military prosecutor’s office and the FSB directorate … and the results will be made available to the people of Russia. “
Putin was furious when a clip of the Moskva sinking was plastered all over social media.
It showed smoke pouring from the ship’s side and a rescue tug sat idly nearby.
Meanwhile, returning conscripts from the Moskva River have told friends and family about that fateful day in April, making Moscow even more furious.
One survivor broke down in tears as he told his mother how at least 40 crew members were killed during the attack, with “many missing” and maimed.
The parents of another conscript say they found about 200 were wounded – many with horrific burns and other serious injuries.
The new reports strongly dispute the official Russian account of how Vladimir Putin’s Black Sea Fleet flagship was lost.
https://www.the-sun.com/news/5339622/mystery-of-putins-missing-admiral-on-flagship-moskva/ The mystery of Putin’s missing admiral “who was on the flagship Moskva” when it was sunk by Ukrainian missiles