The life-saving steps you must take if your child gets something stuck in their nose

As parents know, young children often explore the world by crawling around and picking up random objects.

Sometimes your little explorers put things in their mouths or accidentally stick small morsels up their noses.

Children often stick things up their noses, and doctors say there's a safe and effective way to get them out


Children often stick things up their noses, and doctors say there’s a safe and effective way to get them outPhoto credit: Instagram / Tiny Hearts Education
Nikki Jurcutz of Tiny Hearts Education shared a step-by-step guide to the Big Kiss.


Nikki Jurcutz of Tiny Hearts Education shared a step-by-step guide to the Big Kiss.Photo credit: Instagram / Tiny Hearts Education

According to the doctors at Tiny Hearts Education, there’s no need to panic if your little one gets a raisin or toy stuck up there.

You also shouldn’t stick your finger up your child’s nose to pick it out.

Former paramedic Nikki Jurcutz shared a safe and effective technique for removing foreign objects from your little one’s beak.

The two-second trick is called the “Big Kiss” – you don’t need any equipment.

To do this, place your mouth gently over your child’s mouth and blow a breath of air into it while closing the nostril to keep it clear.

The airflow encourages the object to move through the nasal passages.

Nikki shared a video of herself using the technique on a toddler with a raisin stuck up his nose, and shared step-by-step instructions in an accompanying post.

“If you know how to do this two-second trick, you can save yourself a trip to the emergency room,” she wrote.

Step-by-step instructions for the “Big Kiss” technique

  1. Stay calm and reassure your child
  2. Have them sit upright
  3. Gently place your mouth over the open mouth and seal it
  4. Blow a short burst of air into your mouth while closing the opposite nostril with your finger

Nikki noted that one should always breathe gently and in a controlled manner.

Try the technique a few times and if the object doesn’t come out, you should see a doctor.

The “Big Kiss” technique works on everything from food to beads to a small toy.

However, consult a doctor if your child feels uncomfortable or the object is sharp or large.

And if your little one gets a button battery stuck up their nose, you should get immediate medical help by calling the poison hotline, Nikki stressed.

“Button batteries can damage surrounding tissue and must be removed urgently.”

NHS guidelines state: “If your child has a button battery stuck in their nose or ear, take them to A&E straight away as it is an emergency.”

Tiny Hearts first responders previously shared a life-saving tip that could help slow chemical burn and reduce potential damage if your little one swallows a button battery.

Aila Slisco

Aila Slisco is a Dailynationtoday U.S. News Reporter based in London. His focus is on U.S. politics and the environment. He has covered climate change extensively, as well as healthcare and crime. Aila Slisco joined Dailynationtoday in 2023 from the Daily Express and previously worked for Chemist and Druggist and the Jewish Chronicle. He is a graduate of Cambridge University. Languages: English. You can get in touch with me by emailing:

Related Articles

Back to top button