PARAMOUNT has discontinued the extremely popular Yellowstone series.
However, the streaming service will air a sequel series later this year.
Deadline confirmed the news on Friday.
The second half of season five will air on Paramount in November.
With production on the fifth season only starting in August, it’s unclear if Kevin Costner, who plays John Dutton, will be in the second half.
Earlier this week, he announced his departure from drama.
The untitled sequel will air shortly thereafter in December.
It will premiere first on Paramount Network and then on Paramount+.
No cast has been announced for the Yellowstone sequel, but Deadline reported in February that Matthew McConaughey could helm the series.
A handful of the original cast are expected to return.
Most Read in Entertainment
The outlet reported, “The announcement comes on the heels of Paramount Global falling a long way behind Wall Street forecasts yesterday when the company reported a $1.1 billion loss for the first quarter, resulting in a 25% decline in its share price % led.”
DONE WITH DUTTON
On May 3, Entertainment Tonight reported that Kevin will not be returning to Yellowstone.
“The news comes following reports of alleged drama between the Paramount Network series star and co-creator Taylor Sheridan over the actor’s filming commitments for the remaining episodes of the current season,” the outlet wrote.
Although Deadline reported that filming for the fifth season would resume in August, a source told ET that the cast and crew have not received any information on when they will return.
News of Kevin’s departure from the series came after he, series creator Taylor Sheridan, and the rest of the cast did not attend PaleyFest in Los Angeles in April.
Just hours before Kevin said he wasn’t going back, news of his divorce was released.
The actor and his wife Christine Baumgartner are divorcing after 18 years of marriage.
Hollywood legend Kevin blamed “circumstances beyond his control” for his and Christine’s divorce after having three children.
Christine, 49, filed Monday, TMZ reported.
The fashion designer did not reveal exactly why she wanted to end the relationship.
Instead, she simply called the reason “irreconcilable differences”.
A representative from Kevin’s team told TMZ that the 68-year-old is deeply saddened by the divorce.
“It is with great sadness that circumstances beyond his control have arisen which have resulted in Mr. Costner being required to participate in a lawsuit for dissolution of the marriage,” the representative said.
“We ask that the privacy of him, Christine and their children be respected as they navigate this difficult time.”
The estranged couple have three children together: sons Cayden, 15, and Hayes, 14, and daughter Grace, 12.
At this stage of the separation, Christine is only asking for joint custody of her children and not for spousal support.
A response filed on Tuesday by Kevin’s attorney, Laura Wasser, 54, on his behalf acknowledged that spousal support was “payable to the applicant” under their “pre-nuptial agreement.”
The response also explained that Kevin also wanted joint custody of their children.
Christine was Kevin’s second wife.