THE family of a kidnapped teenage girl have revealed heartbreaking details of her tragic disappearance after she was allegedly lured to the US from Canada.
Noah Madrano, 40, is accused of abducting a 13-year-old Edmonton girl who went missing in June and committing sexual offenses.
The anonymous teenager was 12 when she first began communicating with Madrano through popular social media apps, her family said.
“What my daughter thought were harmless conversations turned very sinister online,” the teen’s father said.
“Your kids are safer playing in the park than on the internet,” he told the Toronto Star.
The girl’s parents monitored her use of personal internet devices, but some things slipped through the cracks.
The father said they noticed the girl’s personality was beginning to change a year before her disappearance, although they assumed it was normal teenage anxiety.
Little did they know, however, that their sudden change happened around the same time Madrano allegedly made contact.
The father claims Madrano broke his daughter’s spirit by attacking her self-esteem and then rebuilt her to gain confidence.
Madrano told the girl that he loves and accepts her, the father claims.
On June 24, his daughter arrived at her junior high school but did not show up for class.
It is believed Madrano crossed the border and drove to Edmonton to pick her up, police said.
The father said the family quickly realized something was wrong and were scared.
They put up posters of her in Edmonton and publicized her disappearance online while police investigated her case.
Over a week later, she was discovered in Oregon City, Oregon, where she was recovered by police.
The family rushed to the airport hours after learning she had been found and had a heartwarming US reunion.
“It was a lot of tears, a lot of hugs,” the father told CTV News Edmonton.
“Seeing her again was incredible.”
Madrano was arraigned on July 5 in Oregon City, where he faced multiple charges related to the 13-year-old’s disappearance.
“In this case, the state alleges that the defendant targeted a 12-year-old child in Canada, coerced her over the course of a year, and traveled to Canada to retrieve and abduct the child,” Assistant District Attorney Adrienne Chin said – Perez, according to CBC News.
Madrano has been charged with kidnapping, rape and sexual abuse, the news agency reports.
He has pleaded not guilty to all charges and his bail has been set at $500,000.
According to CBC News, the Edmonton Police Department plans to pursue a child-baiting charge and possibly other local charges.
The girl’s father acknowledged that social media had helped raise awareness of his missing daughter, but also urged companies to take more responsibility for programs to attract children.
“It’s become clear to me that there is no regulation, no control of the internet,” he told the star.
“I feel like social media and internet companies owe it to the world.
“It makes people extremely insecure and we have to do something.”
Madrano is scheduled to appear in court again on July 12.
https://www.the-sun.com/news/5719838/girl-kidnapped-online-man-lured-canada-oregon/ The 13-year-old girl was “lured away online by a man who kidnapped and raped her,” with heartbreaking new details of her rescue