By: Erika Stanish/KDKA-TV News
GLASSPORT, Pa. (KDKA) – Police are executing a search warrant at a home in connection with an incident that occurred Thursday morning at South Allegheny Middle School.
CONTINUE READING: 2 women wanted in fatal shooting of 13-year-old girl arrested at hotel
Authorities said six middle school students were hospitalized after ingesting drugged candy.
Police carried a box of evidence from the home on Erie Avenue in Glassport Thursday night. Police did not release any further details about the finds.
“I walked into the auditorium and this girl had chocolates and they’re like Cocoa Puffs things. And she was happy to pass it on to her friends,” said Maleah Ball, a sixth grade student at South Allegheny Middle School.
Maleah Ball told KDKA-TV that it was her friends who ate the candy and got sick.
“People cried and freaked out,” Ball said.
Ball said she was offered a piece of the candy, but declined.
“I was really scared because I was worried about them, because I knew something would happen if they took that candy,” Ball said.
CONTINUE READING: 1 police officer killed, 2 others shot dead in Lebanon district
Ball said some of her friends felt dizzy and nauseous. She said another friend couldn’t feel her feet after ingesting the edible.
The superintendent said middle and high school students have been ordered to take shelter on the spot to keep hallways clear for medics.
Five students were taken to local hospitals by ambulance. Another student was driven to a hospital by her guardian.
Gordan Carter told KDKA that his granddaughter was one of the sick students. He said she was taken to Jefferson Hospital but later to UPMC Children’s Hospital because her heart rate and troponin levels were “extremely high.”
Carter said his granddaughter was a good kid and an honors student. He said her condition was “very serious”.
“It is frightening. I can’t believe what the other parents are going through. It hit me very emotionally because it could very easily have been her,” said Lisa Ball, Maleah’s mother.
The school district said the other five students involved have either received or are receiving medical attention.
District administrators said trained drug dogs searched the building’s bathrooms, lockers, hallways and common areas, but found nothing suspicious.
MORE NEWS: Mayor Gainey is calling on the community to come together to end Uptick with violence
Police and the district have not yet been able to say what was in the candy. So far no charges have been filed.
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2022/03/31/search-warrant-home-south-allegheny-students-edibles/ Search warrant executed at home after South Allegheny Middle School students fell ill from drug-laced candy – CBS Pittsburgh