Roy Keane and Micah Richards get into a heated argument with a fan after an alleged attack during the game while the police investigate

Roy Keane and Micah Richards got into a heated argument with a fan last night over an alleged assault.

Police have opened an investigation into footage of the dispute, taken during Sunday’s heavyweight clash between Arsenal and Manchester United at the Emirates Stadium.

Richards and Keane got into a heated argument with a fan


Richards and Keane got into a heated argument with a fanPhoto credit: Twitter
Roy Keane and Micah Richards were experts on the Arsenal-Manchester United clash


Roy Keane and Micah Richards were experts on the Arsenal-Manchester United clashPhoto credit: Twitter @SkySportsPL

The football stars-turned-experts were there as part of Sky Sports’ coverage.

But Richards, 35, and Keane, 52, found themselves at the center of an incident outside of their television duties.

Viral Twitter footage showed Richards, carrying a black backpack, angrily clutching a man who allegedly assaulted Keane.

According to a Sky Sports spokesman, ex-City defender Richards “acted to defuse the situation”.

Keane, 52, is said to have been confronted with a fan in a foyer as he waited to board a lift that was to take him from the stands to the sidelines.

The man reportedly headbutted Keane, hitting the Irishman in the chest and chin MailOnline.

However, the fan failed to cause any serious physical harm to the Manchester United legend.

Footage captured by a bystander then shows a man in a suit trying to break up the couple before Keane yells something inaudible.

Police confirmed they were investigating the “alleged attack” but said no arrests had been made.

It was reported that Keane and Richards had headed out before the incident to attend to their post-match duties for Sky Sports.

The duo were eventually escorted to the pitch where they were able to continue their broadcast.

A Sky Sports spokesman said: “We understand that police are investigating an alleged assault by a citizen immediately before the footage was shared on social media.”

“In the footage shown, Micah Richards acted to defuse the situation.”

A Met Police spokesman confirmed that the police had launched an investigation.

A statement said: “Police are investigating an attack which allegedly took place at the Emirates Stadium during a match between Arsenal and Manchester United on Sunday 3 September.”

The off-pitch drama followed a pulsating 113-minute game of VAR controversy that saw Arsenal beat Manchester United 3-1.

Wracked with injuries, United took the lead thanks to a superb goal from Marcus Rashford.

But Martin Odegaard immediately hit back with a clean low-drive finish.

Alejandro Garnacho thought he had won the game for the Red Devils late in regulation time but his goal was ruled annul for a narrow offside position.

The game appeared to end in a 1-1 draw before Declan Rice and Gabriel Jesus scored for Arsenal late in injury time.

My Tinder Date
100 inmates in jail'take over entire cell unit' as fears of unrest grow

Keane and Richards are regulars on Sky’s Super Sunday program and are expected to be back on TV screens together after the international break on September 17.


ClareFora is a Dailynationtoday U.S. News Reporter based in London. His focus is on U.S. politics and the environment. He has covered climate change extensively, as well as healthcare and crime. ClareFora joined Dailynationtoday in 2021 from the Daily Express and previously worked for Chemist and Druggist and the Jewish Chronicle. He is a graduate of Cambridge University. Languages: English. You can get in touch with me by emailing:

Related Articles

Back to top button