MADNESS Raheem Sterling has vowed he will only return to England’s World Cup campaign when his family is ‘safe’.
The Three Lions ace’s mansion was attacked by a gang who stole £300,000 worth of watches and designer jewelery – he is said to be the fourth Chelsea FC player to be hit by them in recent months.
Police believe his fiancee Paige, 27, discovered Saturday night’s raid less than 24 hours before the clash between England and Senegal on Sunday.
Raheem, also 27, withdrew from Gareth Southgate’s squad and ran home after learning of the terrorist attack. He hopes to return to Qatar in Saturday’s quarter-final against France – but only if he believes his home is secure and his family is not at risk.
A source said, “Raheem has told everyone, ‘There’s no way I’m going anywhere unless I’m 100 percent sure my family is safe.’ He is security conscious and one reason they moved into the property was that it is on a very exclusive estate with regular security patrols.
“Nevertheless, he managed to get targeted, which is very upsetting for Raheem and Paige. They just moved back to London and want to feel safe.”
The family moved into the property in Oxshott, Surrey, after Chelsea paid Man City £47.5million for the winger this summer.
“patrol day and night”
Paige is understood to have returned to the UK from Qatar with his three young children after cheering for Raheem in the group stage.
She had a work commitment related to her real estate company. Yesterday Raheem met with Surrey Police detectives who are investigating the crime.
One of the other Chelsea victims, 22-year-old defender Reece James, was ambushed in September 2021 by a gang targeting his home in Cobham, Surrey. They stole his safe with his Champions League, Super Cup and Euro 2020 medals.
Two other teammates have also suffered similar crimes in recent months and police are now investigating possible links.
There are fears that a highly organized criminal gang is targeting the club’s wealthy players. Yesterday, England ace Harry Maguire crushed the thugs targeting Raheem.
Man United star Harry, 29, said: “It’s extremely disappointing to hear that when we’re out here playing for our country and giving our all, there are people at home who are targeting us.
“The game could have gone differently and we might have needed Raheem.”
And England skipper Harry Kane, also 29, yesterday helped calm his team-mates worried about the raid.
A Three Lions source said: “Harry knows that the players’ families are genuinely devastated by what has happened and it is a concern for the players themselves.
“He sees it as his job as skipper to keep the team’s morale up and keep everyone focused on the game against France.”
England manager Gareth Southgate said he and the FA had discussed safety arrangements with the squad before leaving for Qatar.
Harry knows that the players’ families are really devastated by what has happened and it worries the players themselves.
A three lions source
Asked if the FA had offered to increase security, he said: “We had offered that to the players. I think there is a little [for Raheem] in the midst of a move that helped.”
And other wags have offered their support to Paige. Meanwhile, Raheem plans to tighten security at his home once the police complete their investigation.
A source said: “He has a company on standby to go straight in to install 24/7 security with enhanced infrared night vision. He wants to have dozens of cameras installed.
“And he will hire a security company to patrol his house day and night and will keep them there until the World Cup is over. All valuable jewelry has now been removed from the house to a safe place.”
A Chelsea FC security guard stood guard in front of the house last night.
Police said no arrests had been made yet.
https://www.the-sun.com/sport/6848453/raheem-sterling-world-cup-raid-mansion/ Raheem Sterling vows ‘I won’t go back to the World Cup until my family is safe’ after horrific mansion raid