One of Vladimir Putin’s mobilization chiefs was found dead under “suspicious” circumstances, leading to a murder investigation.
The body of Lt. Col. Roman Malyk, 49, was discovered near the fence of his home as the Russian tyrant announced his chaotic mobilization was being called off.
Last month, Putin ordered an additional 300,000 troops to be mobilized on the front lines as his disastrous war falters and Moscow loses ground on the battlefield.
Police investigating Malyk’s death have opened a murder investigation but have not ruled out a suicide.
According to some reports, Putin’s recruiting chief died by hanging.
His “suspicious” death comes after a series of attacks on mobilization offices across Russia.
Putin said the mobilization would end in two weeks after recruiting 220,000 men, still 80,000 short of the initial target.
Up to 70 offices have been hit with Molotov cocktails as anger over recruitment mounts.
There is growing anger at mobilization officials forcibly recruiting men with little or no training in apparent violation of the rules, despite heavy military casualties to Russia.
Armed draft squads of conscripts, backed by police, are deployed in Russian cities and have grabbed men on subways, on the streets and in offices.
Russia has taken additional security measures for mobilization teams and recruitment offices.
They should be protected by national guards, MP Alexander Khinshtein said.
The mobilization has resulted in hundreds of thousands of men fleeing abroad and voting against Putin with their feet.
Married father of two, Malyk was a veteran of the Russian war in Chechnya and friends and family strongly denied that he killed himself.
He was responsible for recruitment in the Partizan district and surrounding areas in the Primorsky Krai.
He was described by friends as a “strong and courageous man” who was not broken “under the weight of harsh military events and heavy casualties” in Chechnya.
“He was a man of his word and of his deeds, known and respected around town for his honesty and integrity,” he said.
Earlier this month in the neighboring Khabarovsk region, Yury Laiko, 41, a military recruiting commissar, was fired amid chaos over the forced mobilization of local men.
He was accused of “mistakes” in maniacally recruiting thousands of reservists in the vast Khabarovsk Krai, half of whom were found “unfit for duty.”
Governor Mikhail Degtyaryov said: “Several thousand of our compatriots received a summons and arrived at the military registration and recruitment offices.
“Half of them returned home because they did not meet the eligibility criteria for conscription…[so] Military Commissar Yury Laiko was fired”.
On Friday, Putin promised that chaotic mobilization would end in the next two weeks – perhaps to win back support for his war in Ukraine.
Meanwhile in Russia, thousands of protesters were arrested after a series of rallies across the country against Putin’s mobilization order.
This comes as humiliating images of Putin’s “Daddy Army” have surfaced, showing old-looking men clutching shiny new weapons and getting ready to go to the front lines amid the military debacle.
Drunk new draftees were also filmed reeling, struggling and falling asleep as they were packed onto school buses to be taken to training camp, while another video filmed on a bus showed the mobilized men pouring vodka from giant drank bottles.
At the time, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy called Putin’s decision to mobilize 300,000 reservists “an open admission that their regular army, which has been preparing for decades to take over a foreign country, has failed and collapsed.”
https://www.the-sun.com/news/6450417/putin-mobilisation-chief-found-dead-suspicious-circumstances/ Putin’s mobilization chief found dead in ‘suspicious’ circumstances as tyrant cancels disastrous conscription plan