New twist in Bryan Kohberger case after University of Idaho suspect ‘silenced’ over murder of four students
The families of two victims of the Idaho killings have filed legal action against Washington State University and the city of Moscow.
The move comes as suspected quadruple killer Bryan Kohberger remained silent as the judge entered a non-guilty plea on his behalf at his indictment hearing on May 22.
The 28-year-old former WSU student was “silent” on four counts of first-degree murder and one count of burglary.
Kohberger was charged with the murders of University of Idaho students Ethan Chapin, 20, Xana Kernodle, 20, Madison Mogen, 21, and Kaylee Goncalves, 21.
The four young adults were stabbed to death at their off-campus home on November 13, 2022.
Now the lawyer representing Goncalves and Mogen’s family has filed claims for damages to protect their rights to sue within the next two years.
The notices viewed by ABC News do not indicate what claims the families may have.
No lawsuits have been filed yet.
The four students died in an attack so brutal that police described the scene as the worst they had ever witnessed.
Mogen and Goncalves were best friends and were found dead in bed next to each other.
It was reported that in the days following her murder, blood dripped from the walls of her rental home.
Kohberger and his team’s decision to remain silent was described as “bizarre” by a legal expert speaking to The US Sun.
According to research, this tactic means that “a defendant takes no position as to whether he is guilty or not guilty,” and is tantamount to a plea of not guilty that the judge enters on his behalf.
Criminal Attorney in Los Angeles Joshua KnightA former Los Angeles County prosecutor said, “The decision by Bryan Kohberger and his attorney to remain silent rather than plead not guilty is a bizarre twist on this whole matter.”
“The defense will have to work very hard, it’s an extremely difficult case for them.”
With a plea of not guilty, the case will go to court, scheduled to begin October 2 for six weeks.
At the hearing on Monday, the 28-year-old appeared in court in an orange prison jumpsuit.
He said nothing as the judge waived his rights and once again informed him that he could face the death penalty if found guilty of any of the murder charges.
Kohberger replied “yes” when asked if he understood what he had been told.
Earlier this month, it was revealed that at least two items confiscated from Kohberger’s home tested positive for blood.
Court documents released by Washington authorities said most of the results were negative, but two were positive.
This consisted of a mattress cover and an uncovered pillow, both of which had visible “reddish-brown stains” according to the description.
It was not disclosed who owned the blood.
The items were confiscated by police officers based on a search warrant at Kohberger’s address on December 30, the day he was arrested for the murders.
Ritter told The US Sun: “Ultimately, they still have the almost irrefutable evidence that his DNA was found in the knife sheath at the crime scene and a consistent eyewitness account describing someone who looks like Kohberger leaving the house .” Night of the Murders.
The criminal defense attorney believes the case against Kohberger is as “solid as can be” without a defendant being caught on camera or by an eyewitness committing a murder.
The grieving families of the victims dressed in black as they faced the man accused of killing their children in court.