A devastated aunt has warned other parents after her two little nephews suffered horrific burns after a bonfire explosion.
Three-year-old Xander and one-year-old Tanner suffered severe burns to their faces, hands and chests after an aerosol exploded on a campfire.
The brothers’ aunt, Carli Mathiesen, said the boys played around the campfire at their home in Lansfield, Victoria, Australia last Friday.
And although the boys were taught what precautions to take, the accident happened after a cardboard box containing an aerosol was thrown into the flames, Mail Online reports.
The blast knocked the brothers and their mother off their feet, and the two boys were badly burned.
Carli said: “The boys who sustained the injuries have had multiple surgeries but Xander’s injuries were even worse than this brother’s.
“Xander will need a transplant to his face and while he is stable at the moment we expect him to pass out again very soon because the pain and shock is so severe to his body and system that he is in so much pain .
“Tanner also has similar injuries, but not to the same extent. He has first to second degree burns on his torso and face and both children need more transplants.”
The brothers were treated by paramedics who rushed to the scene and were later flown to Melbourne’s Royal Children’s Hospital.
Xander was immediately put on ventilators and taken to the intensive care unit while his brother was admitted for treatment.
Both children will need skin grafts on their faces and hands – from skin harvested from their thighs.
Her heartbroken aunt Carli added: “They are such lovely country children who love the outdoors and everything nature and animal related.
“My heart breaks for them and I know they’re at least a month or two away from going home.”
Carli has set up a GoFundme page to raise funds for the family to help with the additional expenses.
She concluded: “The parents are fine but they’re just in such shock and crisis mode.
“We are all incredibly grateful for the community support, but the financial stress we are now under is immense.
“There will be a long way to go, especially for the mental and physical rehabilitation of the boys.
“Right now the parents have to be with their kids, which means the father can’t make any money, so we really need the support of the community.”.
https://www.the-sun.com/news/5536476/baby-nephews-suffered-horror-burns-bonfire-explosion/ My little nephews suffered horrific burns and need skin grafts after the horrific campfire explosion – my warning to others