United States of America Laura Barajas, a 40-year-old mother from California, lost four limbs after eating antilapia fish containing bacteria.
Laura’s close friend Anna Messina said that Laura became ill after buying and eating tilapia fish at the market.
Anna continued, “Messina became ill a few days after eating fish that Barajas, who had a six-year-old son, bought at a local market in San Jose and prepared for him at home.”
“He almost lost his life. He was on a ventilator.”
His fingers were black, his feet were black, his bottom lip was black. “He had full-blown sepsis and his kidneys were failing.”
Messina says Barajas was infected with Vibrio vulnificus, a potentially deadly bacteria found in raw seafood and seawater.
UCSF infectious disease specialist Dr. “One way to become infected with this bacteria is to eat something contaminated with it, and the other way is to get a cut or a tattoo that is exposed to the water where this bug lives.” said Natasha Spottiswoode to KRON.
It is an infection that is particularly worrisome for people with weak immune systems, he noted.
According to the CDC, about 150 to 200 cases of Vibrio Vulnificus are reported each year. About a fifth of those infected die.
Messina started a GoFundMe campaign to help Barajas with his medical expenses and adjust to his new life. As of Sunday morning, more than $39,000 in total donations had been raised.
The fundraiser says: “Little did she know that a small procedure would change her life forever. Laura has been in the hospital for over a month her entire life and is now a paraplegic.”