MASON Greenwood has been told to stay away from Manchester United until the club decides what to do with him.
The 21-year-old had earlier dropped charges of attempted rape, controlling and forcing behavior and assault, all against the same woman.
But the club now wants to conduct its own internal investigation into the circumstances surrounding the allegations made against the player.
That has started and United have not set a timeframe for how long it will take.
They did not want to start this process beforehand in case it interfered with ongoing criminal proceedings.
In the meantime, Greenwood will not be able to return to the club’s Carrington training base or engage in any capacity with the squad, although the case against him will not go to trial.
His name has remained on the first-team squad list on Man Utd’s official website, a possible indication he could resume his football career.
The player broke his silence on the dropped charges in a statement released Thursday.
Greenwood said: “I am relieved that this matter is now over and I would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support.
“There will be no further comment at this time.”
Greenwood last appeared in court in November, where a trial date was set for November 23 of this year.
The alleged offenses related to a woman and are said to have occurred between November 1, 2018 and October 15, 2022.
Greenwood has been accused of “repeatedly” engaging in controlling and coercive behavior – including threats and derogatory comments on social media – for nearly four years.
He was also charged with attempting to rape the woman on October 21, 2021 and allegedly assaulting her between December 12, 2021 and December 31, 2021.
The footballer was initially remanded in custody after being charged by police on October 15.
However, a judge released him on condition that he not contact any witnesses, including the applicant, and reside at an address in Bowdon.
The striker also spent three nights in detention after being arrested at his £15,000-a-month rented Trafford home last January.
He was suspended by Utd but still received his £75,000-a-week salary.
Greenwood was removed from FIFA 22 following the allegations and dropped by sponsor Nike.
Football Manager 2022 also confirmed that he would not appear in the game.
All merchandise bearing the No11’s name has been removed from the Utd official website and team-mates unfollowed him on Instagram.
Greenwood last played for the Red Devils on January 22 last year when the team beat West Ham 1-0.
The player joined the club aged just six and rose through the ranks to secure a regular place in the first team.
In 2019 he became the youngest footballer to play for United in the Champions League when he took the field aged 17.
Greenwood has played a total of 129 games for the Red Devils and has scored 35 goals.
In 2020, England manager Gareth Southgate gave the striker his first cap when Greenwood came on as a substitute in the 1-0 win over Iceland.
Greenwood missed the Three Lions World Championship in Qatar last year when the case went to court.
https://www.the-sun.com/sport/7293398/mason-greenwood-stay-away-manchester-united-own-investigation/ Mason Greenwood said to stay away from Manchester United until the club conducts its own investigation after CPS dropped the charges