MANCHESTER UNITED are reportedly set to make another attempt to sign Frenkie de Jong from Barcelona next week.
The Red Devils have already reached a £72m deal with Barcelona for the midfielder.
But De Jong was reluctant to move to Old Trafford because he wants Champions League football.
Despite the setback, United officials are still confident they can lure him to the club.
New boss Erik ten Hag is reportedly ready to bring the situation under control to finalize the deal ahead of Man Utd’s Premier League clash with Liverpool on August 22.
He’s even willing to organize a face-to-face meeting with the midfielder to convince him of a move.
De Jong has already admitted he wants to stay at the Nou Camp this season.
Barcelona currently owe him £17m in unpaid wages so club bosses are trying to force him to resign to settle financial differences.
While de Jong has stalled on a move to Man Utd, Chelsea have expressed interest in signing him.
The Blues reportedly nearly landed a £67.6million deal with Barcelona earlier this week but have since dampened their interest.
FREE BETS AND SIGN UP OFFERS – THE BEST OFFERS FOR NEW CUSTOMERS
Thomas Tuchel is aiming to sign a new striker before the transfer window closes next month.
Man Utd legend Gary Neville is still optimistic his former club can get the deal across the line, but he has also hinted it would be “embarrassing” if they didn’t.
Speaking to Football Daily, he said: “If they (United) don’t get him it’s embarrassing but if he goes to Chelsea it’s terrible.
“If he didn’t want to come, the deal would have been canceled a few weeks ago.
“Because of the relationship the player has with the coach, there has to be a communication between them that says, ‘Wait for me, I’m coming’.”
https://www.the-sun.com/sport/5991670/man-utd-de-jong-transfer-offensive-chelsea-barcelona/ Man Utd embark on a new Frenkie de Jong transfer offensive this week as Chelsea drop out of the race for the Barcelona star