Cracker Barrel has been ordered by a jury to pay $9.4 million in damages in a lawsuit involving a Tennessee patron who drank what he believed was a glass of water, but turned out to be substance cleaning liquid called Eco-San. The jury awarded $4.3 million in punitive damages and $5 million in punitive damages, according to a statement from the man’s attorney.
In an emailed statement to CBS MoneyWatch, Cracker Barrel said they were “disappointed” with the decision and added that they “completely disagree” with the jury’s award. It describes the case as an “unfortunate and isolated incident that occurred in one of our stores eight years ago.” The company said it was reviewing its options regarding the ruling.
However, the award may be reduced by the $750.00 limit for damages under Tennessee law.
The incident happened in 2014 when William Cronnon stopped at a Cracker Barrel for lunch in Marion County, Tennessee, and the waiter filled his glass with what he believed was water. Instead, it is a mixture of water and Eco-San, a commercial bleach, attorney Thomas Greer wrote in the statement.
Cronnon went to the emergency room for treatment and later developed gastrointestinal problems, including cramping and pain from regurgitation after meals.
According to Greer, Cracker Barrel allegedly “used an unmarked water pitcher to mix water and Eco-San, and then soaked soda machine parts in the mixture to clean them.”
While Cronnon was at the ER, Cracker Barrel’s corporate office reportedly faxed the Eco-San safety data sheet to the medical facility, the attorney claimed that the restaurant chain “knew it immediately after the incident, to be exact. is what happened”.
Greer said Cronnon’s injury was so severe that he was unable to work. Cronnon’s career was in textile mills, the statement added.
Copyright 2022 Fort Myers Broadcasting Company. Copyright Registered. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without prior written consent.
https://www.winknews.com/2022/01/19/jury-awards-9-4m-to-man-who-drank-bleach-at-cracker-barrel/ Jury awards $9.4 million to man who drank bleach at Cracker Barrel