A MAJOR update in a possible serial killer case has been announced after police linked the killings using clues found at the crime scenes.
A new video of a person of interest has been released after Stockton, California Police Chief Stanley McFadden said six recent murders and one attempted murder met the definition of a serial killer.
Authorities said in a Tuesday news conference that the cases are related to ballistics evidence found at the scene.
During the release of the new video, the police chief asked the public to note the way the person walks, their posture, and their stride.
A timeline of the murders was also revealed.
It was six days between the first two incidents and then more than a year to the third, McFadden said.
After that, the time between further attacks was between six and 20 days.
Police said a woman survived an attack in April last year. She described the suspect as 5ft 10″ to 6ft tall and wearing a black ‘Covid’ type mask.
The woman said the suspect didn’t say anything to her before shooting her.
At the press conference, a video of a person of interest was shown to the press, in which officials said to note the way the person walks and “their stride.”
Cops previously released a grainy image of a person interested in the case.
“This is of great concern,” Mayor Kevin Lincoln II said. “We do not know if there is one individual or a set of individuals responsible for these killings.”
Police said in their Tuesday update that the person in question was photographed and filmed by surveillance cameras “on more than one occasion”.
There is now a more than $125,000 reward for information leading to an arrest in the horrific murders after the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms donated $25,000 to the fund.
The body of Paul Alexander Yaw was found in a park in Stockton on July 8.
His mother, Greta Bogrow, 60, told NBC that she was estranged from her son, who has been homeless for several years.
“I always hoped in my heart that someday we would be reunited and have a relationship,” she said.
“It is always a mother’s dream that her children will become good people. He was a good person. I only wish I had the opportunity to speak to him again in this life.”
Bogrow hopes her son’s killer will be brought to justice.
“I hope all of this publicity gets this person to get some kind of justice for what he did to my son and all the other victims and their families,” she said.
“I just hope it gets him off the streets and stops him from doing this to anyone else.”
Lawrence “Lorenzo” Lopez was a father to six children ranging in age from 16 to 38, according to his brother Jerry, 53.
Lorenzo had worked as a self-employed contractor but had become homeless due to financial circumstances.
Jerry said many people had offered his brother a place to stay, but Lorenzo turned it down because he didn’t want to “burden” people.
“He’d rather take care of himself than other people taking care of him,” Jerry said.
The brothers have lived in Stockton since they were in elementary school, he added.
“No city should have to deal with that,” said Jerry Lopez. “This thing has to end. It’s scary for our city.”
Salvador Debudey Jr.’s wife was devastated to learn of his death.
“To be honest, a part of me died with him that day,” said Analydia Lopez. “It was hard. It was really, really hard.”
Debudey, a father, met his wife when they were in high school, but they later reunited and were married for 12 years before his death in August.
21-year-old Jonathan Hernandez Rodriguez was found shot dead in his vehicle on August 30.
Police assembled a team of detectives, task force officers, camera room operators and crime analysts to solve the crime.
Although all of the victims were identified as Hispanic males, investigators said they do not suspect the killings to be hate crimes.
According to Newsweek, McFadden elaborated further on the chilling overlap between the cases, saying, “We see some similarity where they’re really areas of darkness.
“It’s really areas where the person is alone, maybe doesn’t even know it’s coming, and that’s kind of the way [we’re] Look at some of the latest.
“People are on their own, they don’t have the situational awareness that we would like.”
None of the victims were robbed, and all of the crimes occurred when the victims were alone in areas where there were no surveillance cameras.
“HAVE NOT EXCLUDED ANYTHING”
But he also noted that they “haven’t ruled anything out”.
He also warned the public against traveling alone in the dark and traveling through remote locations.
“I know it makes a lot of people nervous when they hear that out there,” McFadden said.
“We’re seeing some patterns and similarities in some of our more recent murders, which we’re looking at more closely.
https://www.the-sun.com/news/6368625/stockton-california-serial-killer-update-police/ Important update in the Stockton serial killer case as police connect murders in California based on clues found at the crime scene