A pest expert warns that scratching after a bee sting is the worst thing a human can do – and could cause a serious health problem.
During the summer months, the queen bee lays more eggs – meaning it’s high time everyone got stung.
A bee sting can temporarily cause severe pain and a sting wound, before possibly developing redness, warmth, itching, and swelling.
In the worst case, such a sting can lead to a life-threatening reaction.
dr Naheed Ali, who works for Worcestershire Royal Hospital, pointed out that knowing how to react when stung by a bee is “vital”.
But she also explained exactly what not to do in such a case.
dr Ali told MailOnline: “While it may be tempting, do not scratch the affected area.”
“Scratching can provide temporary relief but can lead to complications, including infection.”
Instead, she advised using a cold compress such as a washcloth, ice pack, or cloth chilled with cold water.
Applying the cold compress for 10 to 20 minutes should reduce the swelling, she adds.
She warned against using products like vinegar or baking soda as these are unlikely to help and could make the situation worse.
dr Helen Evans-Howells runs the private clinic Dr. Helen Allergy, which operates in Bournemouth and Dorchester.
She advised fighting bee stings with the “scratch, don’t squeeze” method.
This is accomplished by using something like a credit card to flick the back end of the stinger, which removes the venom.
If someone is feeling particularly unwell, it is advisable to take an antihistamine.