A WOMAN is set to appear in court after allegedly making a fraudulent claim for a $70 million lottery jackpot.
The Ontario, Canada individual, who has not yet been identified, claimed to have won the multi-million prize with a Lotto Max ticket.
According to the Ontario Provincial Police, information about the alleged fraud was received on July 17.
The information was passed to the OPP’s Investigations and Enforcement Office, which worked with the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario.
The Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation notified police of the 33-year-old North Bay woman’s claim.
As a result of the investigation, she was charged with attempted fraud of over $5,000, forgery and distributing a forged document.
The woman has since been released and will appear in court at a later date.
A CA$70 million (US$51.6 million) Lotto Max lottery ticket was unclaimed and has expired. However, it is not confirmed if the woman’s claim is related to this lottery ticket.
The Lotto Max ticket was sold in Ontario last year but has now been “officially declared unclaimed,” lottery officials said.
A nationwide search for the winner failed to find the unsuspecting multi-millionaire.
The Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation announced that the ticket purchased on June 28, 2022 from a Scarborough lottery retailer is no longer available for claim.
A campaign has been launched to determine the winner of the ticket numbered 8, 19, 22, 41, 42, 46, 47 Bonus 10.
In a press release, the OLGC said it had received a number of calls from people falsely claiming the assets.
The statement said: “Before the deadline, almost 2,700 calls and emails from people who claimed to have lost the ticket were logged in the OLG’s customer center.”
“Due to the high volume of claims for damages due to lost tickets, the Higher Regional Court’s dedicated lottery investigative team took the necessary time to thoroughly review each and every potential claim.
“Now that this process is complete, we can report that none of these claims have been successful.
“That officially leaves the $70 million award unclaimed.”