There is an aircraft warehouse in Arizona that is said to be “the largest in the world”.
Now people want to know how to find the historic airplane graveyard.
What is an airplane graveyard?
Airplane graveyards — also known as airplane graveyards — are used to store retired airliners, as explained by Airplaneboneyards.com.
According to the website, they are also used for other purposes that don’t always mean the end of an aircraft’s lifespan.
Boneyards “serve several functions”, including:
- interim storage
- parts recovery
How many airplane cemeteries are there in the US?
According to Airplaneboneyards.com, there are “seven major aircraft boneyards” in the United States, located in Arizona, California and New Mexico.
They are “each located in arid, low-humidity desert environments and offer long runways and extensive storage areas.”
- Southern California Logistics Airport – SCLA (VCV) in Victorville, California
- Davis-Monthan AFB (DMA) in Tucson, Arizona
- Roswell International Air Center (ROW) in Roswell, New Mexico
- Mojave Air and Space Port (MHV) in Mojave, California
- Phoenix Goodyear Airport (GYR) in Phoenix, Arizona
- Pinal County Air Park (MZJ) in Marana, Arizona
- Kingman Airport (IGM) in Kingman, Arizona
In addition, there are a number of other aircraft storage facilities and parts recovery sites and activities in the United States.
In addition to Arizona, California and New Mexico, they are found in Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Texas, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee.
As Airplaneboneyards.com notes, facilities similar to US airplane boneyards also exist in other countries, such as the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, France, Spain, Australia and Wales.
How to find Arizona’s Airplane Graveyard on Google Maps?
According to Airplaneboneyards.com, the Davis-Monthan Air Force Boneyard in Tucson, Arizona has grown to be the “largest aircraft breakyard in the world.”
It is also known as the home of WWII military aircraft.
It is located at 2720 South Craycroft Road and has the zip code 85707.
To find the Boneyard on Google Maps, you need to open your Google account and select “My Maps” or launch the Google Maps mobile app on your smartphone.
- Enter the facility name or address in the search bar.
- If you’re using a smartphone, move your fingers around the map and pinch to zoom in and out.
- If you’re using a computer or laptop, you can explore the map with your mouse or touchpad.
- To access a route to the Boneyard, select Directions and choose your travel type.