The Mets hoped to play significant video games in October this season.
As an alternative they’ll be making significant selections as a sequence of crucial questions await them upon the tip of one other dropping season on Sunday.
Earlier than the Mets performed their fifth-to-last sport on Wednesday towards the Marlins, staff president Sandy Alderson addressed the state of the group because it enters one other crucial offseason. Among the many takeaways:
• After their seek for a president of baseball operations got here up empty final offseason — resulting in hiring Jared Porter as common supervisor and finally changing him with performing GM Zack Scott — the Mets can be at it once more subsequent month.
Alderson mentioned the Mets haven’t begun to succeed in out to potential candidates, however he was hopeful that they are going to fare higher than final time, when they didn’t obtain permission to even converse to a few of the executives they have been excited about. Alderson additionally mentioned the pool of candidates — which might embody the likes of Theo Epstein, the Athletics’ Billy Beane and the Brewers’ David Stearns — may very well be completely different than final yr.
“I’m optimistic that we’ll find yourself in the proper place,” Alderson mentioned. “How precisely we get there and with who’s up for grabs.
“I feel the constraints that we confronted final yr with respect to the president of baseball operations had extra to do with contractual limitations than undesirability. I don’t suppose that was a difficulty. … I don’t suppose there’s any cause why Steve Cohen and the Mets are really any less desirable today than they have been a yr in the past and can be.”
• Although Alderson hopes to have a president of baseball operations hired as soon as possible, the choice on the futures of supervisor Luis Rojas and his teaching employees are more likely to be determined earlier than the brand new head of baseball is in place.
“It could be in everyone’s curiosity that these selections are made in a extra well timed trend,” Alderson mentioned. “What I might hope is that these selections are made with a brand new management probably in thoughts, not attempting to anticipate what they might determine, however to verify, whether or not it’s within the case of gamers or different positions, they’ve as a lot flexibility as doable.”
• The Mets entered the season with excessive expectations, then spent 103 days in first place of a weak NL East earlier than collapsing over the ultimate months. Alderson cited accidents, underperformance, working out of beginning pitching depth and never hitting properly as the primary components for what he known as a “disappointing” season.
“I’m massive on course of, however in the end outcomes matter,” Alderson mentioned. “And for those who don’t have good outcomes over a time period, then course of could not survive. … In order we strategy the tip of the season, now we have to be reasonable about what the outcomes have been.”
• Alderson has been dealing with GM duties since Scott was positioned on administrative go away on Sept. 2 after he pleaded not responsible to driving whereas intoxicated. Scott’s subsequent court docket date is scheduled for Oct. 7. After his authorized scenario is resolved, the Mets will make their very own dedication on his future with the group.
“There’s been little or no contact with Zack for the reason that incident came about,” Alderson mentioned.
• Alderson could not in the end have a say in it, however he didn’t tip his hand with regard to how the Mets really feel about how 4 key impending free brokers. The group should determine whether or not to make qualifying affords to Michael Conforto and Noah Syndergaard, and whether or not to re-sign Marcus Stroman or Javier Baez.
“We very extremely worth Marcus, and we’ll be wanting ahead to the potential of speaking to him,” Alderson mentioned.
As for whether or not the Mets might realistically signal Baez, for whom they gave up prospect Pete Crow-Armstrong on the commerce deadline?
“Is it doable? Sure. Is it reasonable? Perhaps,” Alderson mentioned. “It’s arduous for me to place odds on it.”
https://nypost.com/2021/09/29/how-sandy-alderson-is-approaching-another-busy-mets-winter/ | How Sandy Alderson is approaching one other busy Mets winter