Horror details emerge after a toddler, 3, died of a fentanyl overdose in a warning of a spike in opioid deaths
A TODDLER has died days after a fentanyl overdose and was airlifted to hospital as police warn of a spike in opioid deaths.
The three-year-old from Apache Junction, Arizona, was taken to the hospital by his family on Thursday after taking at least one fentanyl pill, according to police.
The boy was being treated with Narcan, used for opioid overdoses, but had to be flown to another hospital in Mesa.
After the child was placed on life support, police said he died of an overdose on Sunday evening.
Police say they are treating this as a criminal investigation.
Detectives are currently trying to determine where the toddler came into contact with the fentanyl found in his system.
Before the boy fell ill, he was traveling between Apache Junction, Mesa and the nearby Maricopa County Islands, KTVK reports.
After the death of the three-year-old, the police warned of opioid overdoses.
“More than five people die from opioid overdoses in Arizona every day.
“The death of this child underscores the dangerous consequences of fentanyl and other illegal drugs in our ongoing fight against this epidemic,” Apache Junction Police Department said.
Chief Mike Pooley said: “Fentanyl is affecting every community and innocent victims are being killed by this poison.
“We need everyone to help us protect our children. This tragedy is devastating to our community.”
WHAT IS FENTANYL?
Fentanyl is one of the most popular opioid drugs that can lead to addiction and dependency.
The drug is known to be a powerful synthetic opioid similar to morphine.
Fentanyl is used to treat patients with severe or chronic pain and is typically given to patients who can tolerate other opioids.
Although fentanyl is a prescription drug, it is often manufactured and used illegally.
Popular prescription forms of the drug are:
The medication is typically administered through a shot, patch, or lozenge.
WHY IS FENTANYL DANGEROUS?
While fentanyl requires a prescription, it can be fatal if used improperly.
Synthetic opioids, including fentanyl, are known to be the most common overdose-causing drugs in the United States, according to the CDC.
The reason it is so dangerous is because of how it affects the brain.
Like heroin and other opioid drugs, fentanyl is known to bind to the body’s opioid receptors and once addicted, users must consume increasing amounts of it to feel a high, leading to overdoses.
The National Institute on Drug Abuse reports that fentanyl can cause:
- extreme happiness
- trouble breathing
An overdose of the drug will cause a person’s breathing to slow down or stop altogether.
Once this happens, it leads to a reduction in oxygen uptake, leading to hypoxia that can lead to a coma and permanent brain damage or even death.
https://www.the-sun.com/news/7275960/toddler-died-fentanyl-overdose-spike-opioid-deaths/ Horror details emerge after a toddler, 3, died of a fentanyl overdose in a warning of a spike in opioid deaths