Hikers stoned from magic mushrooms have been rescued by a rescue team in the Lake District
Hikers stoned from magic mushrooms had to be brought to safety by a mountain rescue team.
The group of young men was seen by passers-by who looked ill and were struggling, who sounded the alarm.
When they checked on them, it became clear that they had eaten the hallucinogenic mushrooms and two in particular were struggling.
Eleven members of the Keswick Mountain Rescue Team climbed the Newlands Valley in the Lake District.
They reached the group at 2:15 p.m. Sunday and spent two hours escorting them to safety.
They then offered advice on how long it would take for the hallucinogenic effects to wear off.
A spokesman for the rescue team said: “Two were unwell, including the driver in the group.
“The injured were led down and advised by the team’s paramedic on when to proceed.”
Possessing, growing and selling magic mushrooms is illegal under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 and is punishable by up to seven years in prison.
The mushrooms have effects similar to LSD, and the hallucinogenic ingredient psilocybin is a Class A substance.
But campaigners, including Tory MP Crispin Blunt, want the law changed because of its “exciting potential” for treating mental illness.
Mr Blunt has urged the government to classify them the same as medical cannabis, which was legalized in 2018.