THE cause of a terrible fire that resulted in the deaths of three children and a young father has finally been revealed.
A “damaged power strip” started the deadly blaze in the Bronx, New York, last week, the FDNY said.
Ahmed Saleh, 22, his 10-month-old daughter Farah Saleh, and his younger brothers Mohamed Waleed Ahmed, 12, and Kalheed Waleed Ben Saleh, 10, were killed on Quimby Avenue during Sunday morning’s tragedy.
The FDNY called the incident an accident in one tweet on Thursday evening.
Multiple items were plugged into the power strip, which showed insulation damage, the department said.
Law enforcement initially believed the blazes were caused by faulty wiring after investigators found a melted computer still plugged into the wall of the room where the fire started.
There were smoke alarms in the home that worked, the FDNY said.
There were no previous incidents at the building, but according to city records, an illegal basement was found by firefighters while fighting the blaze.
According to Merlyn Persaue, 60, who lives in the neighborhood, the children inside the house could be heard banging on windows at the time.
“They shouted, the children, ‘Hey Allah! Hey Allah!’ which means, “Help me, God! Help me God,'” she told the New York Post.
“I see hands in the windows, and then the flames wash onto the windows, and then there was no more sound.”
The brothers’ mother and youngest son were able to flee the home with the help of a neighbor, Imlaque Chowhury, 30.
“The]woman and the little boy were banging on my window,” Chowhury said. “They screamed, they cried and the black smoke came out from behind them.
“I opened the window, grabbed them both and pulled them inside. What else could I do? One of those kids playing with my niece. I looked outside and saw the man walking around. I thought everyone got out. I could have gone down, I could have helped. I could have done more. But I didn’t know. I thought everyone got out.”
Mayor Eric Adams attended the harrowing scene and announced the city would help with the burials.
“We will be there for the family to ensure we can assist with any funerals and any support they may need at this time,” Adams said.
“He lost his children and it is extremely painful. The block and the community will rally around this family.”
Adams himself has experienced two house fires, including one that destroyed his childhood home in Brooklyn.
“Your mind races when you see a fire and know your loved ones are still inside,” he said.
Bronx Borough President Vanessa L. Gibson issued a statement recalling other residential fires in the Bronx, including one in January that killed 17 people.
“We are heartbroken at the loss of life, including children and residents who are hospitalized with serious injuries,” she said.
https://www.the-sun.com/news/6606040/deadly-bronx-fire-update-cause/ Harrowing new details revealed the horrific deaths of three children and a young father in a deadly Bronx fire