Gabby Petito’s final days – from staying in a hotel to having an explosive fight at a restaurant where she was last seen alive

DETAILS have emerged about the last few days Gabby Petito spent in conflict with fiancé Brian Laundrie before the 22-year-old vlogger was killed in a case that took the internet by storm.

Information gathered by online investigators and revelations from the official inquiry paint a bleak picture of the deadly road trip that led to Gabby’s death.

Gabby was last seen at a Fairfield Inn & Suites in Salt Lake City


Gabby was last seen at a Fairfield Inn & Suites in Salt Lake CitySource: KSTU-TV
A woman claims she saw Gabby and Brian at a restaurant in Wyoming


A woman claims she saw Gabby and Brian at a restaurant in WyomingSource: Facebook/The Happy Piglet

From an 911 call reporting the couple for domestic violence to a night at different hotels, events in the days leading up to the murder reveal the couple’s strained relationship.


In an explosive interview with 60 Minutes, Gabby’s mother Nicole Schmidt revealed that her daughter would text, call or FaceTime her almost every day.

She said: “I loved getting the updates and was impressed with what she was doing. It was just amazing.”

That’s why the last message Schmidt received from her daughter on August 30 raised an alarm.

Gabby Petito's dad posts cryptic message after defeating Laundrie family
Petitos have

Gabby reportedly wrote “no duty in Yosemite” even though she was traveling through Grand Teton National Park when she disappeared.

Twelve days later, Schmidt reported her missing when she heard nothing from her daughter.

Gabby was last seen at a Salt Lake City hotel almost a week before the mysterious final text message.

Officials at the Fairfield Inn and Suites near Salt Lake City International Airport confirmed to FOX 13 News that the 22-year-old spent more than a day at the hotel and that law enforcement made a recent visit.


Shortly after the police call, which ended with Moab officers stopping Brian and Gabby’s white van, the pair were allegedly engaged in an explosive conflict at a Wyoming restaurant.

A fellow guest claims she saw Brian arguing with a waitress at the scene of the fight.

Nina Celie Angelo, of New Orleans, told Fox News she was traveling through Jackson Hole with her boyfriend on Aug. 27 when they stopped for lunch at the Merry Piglets, a Tex-Mex restaurant, between 1 and 2 p.m.

Angelo claims she watched in shock as Brian argued with a waitress while Gabby sat by his side.

Although Angelo said she couldn’t hear the conversation, the argument appeared to be money-related.

She said Brian left the restaurant and came back at least four times.

Eventually, Gabby stepped in to apologize for her fiancé’s “aggressive” behavior.

“I’ve got chills right now,” Angelo said as she related the incident.

“It’s crazy because it wasn’t like we passed them on the street — it was a full-blown incident.”

Now, a behavioral sciences expert has viewed the argument at the restaurant as one of the key pieces of information needed to determine who killed the vlogger.

dr Ann Wolbert Burgess, a pioneer of the FBI’s Behavioral Science Unit, told Fox News, “The way she has to apologize for his behavior is something characteristic and that probably makes him even more angry because he wants to appear a certain way. ”

She emphasized that the encounter took place “on or just before the day she was murdered.”

According to Burgess, another incident of major importance to the case is the police stop conducted 12 days earlier that resulted in Gabby and Brian sleeping in separate locations.


On August 12, an 911 caller reported Gabby and Brian to police in Moab, Utah, claiming the 23-year-old hit his fiancé.

“I want to report a domestic dispute,” the caller said, adding that they were driving a white pickup truck with a Florida license plate.

“We drove by and the gentleman hit the girl. They ran up and down the sidewalk, he kept hitting them, jumped in the car and they drove off.”

Body camera footage released by the Moab PD shows police conducting the stop and shows the emotional tension between the couple.

In the video, a distraught Gabby can be seen with tears streaming down her face as she tries to explain the conflict to officers while Brian has visible scratches on his body.

“We were just arguing this morning. Some personal issues,” Gabby explains.

At one point, she adds, “We fought all morning and he wouldn’t let me in the car before,” she told cops, Brian “really stressing her out.”

She can be heard admitting to hitting Brian after what she calls a “rough morning”.

The vlogger blames her behavior on her OCD: “I have OCD and I just cleaned and smoothed…

“And I apologized to him and said I’m sorry for being so mean because sometimes I’m so mean because I have OCD and I’m really frustrated.”

Meanwhile, Brian appears to be joking with the officers as he says with a smile that he pushed Gabby multiple times to ward off her attacks.

Later, an officer asks Gabby if Brian hit her, to which she replies, “I think so,” and then clutches her chin in a grasping motion to reenact what Laundrie allegedly did.

“He liked doing it with his hand,” she says before the audio cuts off.

Police reported that they did not charge the couple and instead reluctantly persuaded them to separate for the night.

After telling officers he couldn’t afford a motel, Brian was booked into a room at the Bowen Motel, a modest $78-a-night lodging that sometimes doubled as housing for domestic violence survivors.

Motel employees reportedly cooperated with law enforcement in the investigation of the murder.


Gabby’s autopsy results indicated that she died three to four weeks before her body was found, putting the date of the murder in the last week of August.

Teton County Coroner, Dr. Brent Blue, confirmed Gabby died from strangulation, adding that the body was outside “in the wild” until found.

Law enforcement announced on September 19, 2021, that remains had been discovered at a campground in Grand Teton National Park, and two days later it was confirmed that they were Gabbys.

Brian’s body was found a month later after a massive manhunt.

He had died by suicide.

Last month, Brian’s mysterious diary containing his alleged confession was released by Laundrie family lawyer Bertolino.

Brian’s notebook was recovered by the FBI along with his skeletal remains from Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park on October 20, 2021.

In the notebook, he admitted to “ending” Gabby’s life, calling it a “merciful murder.”

Brian claimed Gabby was dealing with some kind of injury and was “waking up in pain”.

He wrote that he “mercifully ended her life” because it was “what she wanted.”

“She woke up in pain, started her whole painful cycle all over again while angry that I was the one waking her up,” the 23-year-old wrote.

“She wouldn’t let me try to cross the creek, thinking like me the fire would go out in her sleep and she would freeze to death.

“I don’t know the extent of Gabby’s injuries, just that she was in extreme pain.

Hunter Biden called stepmom Jill a'vengeful jerk' in rehab spat
The REAL reason Big Brother star Marvin Achi was fired from the show

“I ended her life. I thought it was gracious that she wanted it, but now I see all the mistakes I made. I panicked. I was shocked.”

“From the moment I decided to take her pain away, I knew I couldn’t go on without her,” Brian concluded.

Gabby's mother, Nicole Schmidt, spoke to 60 Minutes this week


Gabby’s mother, Nicole Schmidt, spoke to 60 Minutes this weekCredit: 60 Minutes Australia
Gabby was reported missing on September 11


Gabby was reported missing on September 11Photo credit: Instagram Gabby Petito’s final days – from staying in a hotel to having an explosive fight at a restaurant where she was last seen alive


DevanCole is a Dailynationtoday U.S. News Reporter based in London. His focus is on U.S. politics and the environment. He has covered climate change extensively, as well as healthcare and crime. DevanCole joined Dailynationtoday in 2021 from the Daily Express and previously worked for Chemist and Druggist and the Jewish Chronicle. He is a graduate of Cambridge University. Languages: English. You can get in touch with me by emailing:

Related Articles

Back to top button