After rapper Travis Scott said he would pay for the funerals of ten people who died after crowds grew at his Astroworld music festival, many families are turning down the offer.
The family of John Hilgert and Baig of Denmark, two of the victims of a mob death at Scott’s music festival in Houston last month, reported to be the latest declined an offer to cover his funeral expenses, with Baig . family attorney Michael Lyons speak TMZ, “[Y]ou can infer that when parents have to bury their child that they don’t really care about the people who may have contributed to it. ”
The families of half of the Astroworld mob victims have now turned down Scott’s offer, based on Rolling Stone. The family of 9-year-old Ezra Blount did so earlier this week. And attorney Richard Mithoff, who represents the family of 14-year-old John Hilgert, said Rolling Stone the offer is “frankly down-priced and really doesn’t fit the magnitude of the tragedy,” while attorney Philip Corboy told the outlet that the families of 21-year-old victims Jacob Jurinek and Franco Patino feel Scott was just “trying to reduce public outcry. His case,” noting that he was contacted through his attorney rather than personally.
Attorney Tony Buzbee, who represents the family of victim Axel Acosta, 21, also said Rolling Stone that if Scott “knows — about these families, [he] wouldn’t have to put out a press release to show everyone that he was willing to pay for a funeral. ”
Scott was performing at the Astroworld festival on November 5 when several people were killed in a deadly crowd. Scott said after the tragedy in which he was “totally devastated”, and his lawyer said he did not know a mass casualty event had been declared while he was on stage. He is currently facing a lot of lawsuits, including a lawsuit looking for more than $750 million.
https://theweek.com/news/1007603/families-of-astroworld-victims-reject-travis-scotts-demeaning-offer-to-pay-for Families of Astroworld victims reject Travis Scott’s ‘lower’ offer to arrange funerals