Sport

Eugenie Bouchard withdraws from Wimbledon over All England Club ban on Russian players and ranking points debacle

EUGENIE BOUCHARD has canceled Wimbledon due to a lack of world ranking points in SW19.

In April, Wimbledon bosses banned Russian and Belarusian players from attending their event, which begins Monday June 27 following the ongoing war in Ukraine.

Bouchard said the decision not to award ranking points at Wimbledon led to her decision

2

Bouchard said the decision not to award ranking points at Wimbledon led to her decisionPhoto credit: Getty Images – Getty
The 28-year-old balances modeling alongside her tennis career

2

The 28-year-old balances modeling alongside her tennis careerPhoto credit: The Mega Agency

In response, the ATP and WTA Tours penalized the championships and removed their ranking points, a decision that had been widely planned by those in the dressing room.

There have been fears several top names could pull out in protest – so much so that All England Club chiefs have decided to increase prize money to record levels.

Bouchard, who is now better known for her modeling work than tennis appearances, suffered a shoulder injury in March 2021 and underwent surgery the following June.

The 28-year-old Canadian has fallen from the WTA rankings due to inactivity, but she had an entry on the main draw list as a first alternative following the retirement of Egypt’s Mayar Sherif.

But now the 2014 Wimbledon finalist had decided to focus on the North American swing of the calendar with a return to the US Open in late August.

In a Twitter post, Bouchard said: “A quick update from my side, I have decided to withdraw from Wimbledon as the WTA has decided not to award ranking points at this year’s championships.

“Due to my shoulder surgery, I get a limited number of Protected Ranking (PR) Entries.

“As much as I love Wimbledon and it’s sad to skip it, there’s no point using a PR entry at a tournament with no ranking points.

“I have to choose wisely and use my PR entries at tournaments that will help me get back to where I want to be.

“I am continuing my training/rehab and plan to return to competition later this summer.

“I will now use my two Grand Slam PR entries for the US Open and the Australian Open.

“Thank you for all the amazing messages of support. I love you guys and can’t wait to see everyone again soon.”

https://www.the-sun.com/sport/5589974/eugenie-bouchard-wimbledon-pulls-out/ Eugenie Bouchard withdraws from Wimbledon over All England Club ban on Russian players and ranking points debacle

ClareFora

Daily Nation Today is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@dailynationtoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button