Dani Alves changed the version of events leading up to a “rape in a nightclub” to cover up fraud, his new lawyer claims
DANI Alves changed his version of events about an alleged sexual assault at a nightclub to cover up his “infidelity”, his new lawyer has reportedly claimed.
A recent news program on Spanish TV said Cristobal Martell made the admission off-camera after visiting the former Barca star in Brians 2 prison near Barcelona on Friday.
The TVE program “Hablando Claro” published images of Mr Martell leaving the prison after a two-hour visit.
Reporter Dani Gonzalez, who was sent to jail, told a studio presenter: “A few minutes ago, Dani Alves’ lawyer, Cristobal Martell, left jail after meeting his client.
“They talked for two hours.
“He told us off-screen because he didn’t want to officially say the footballer is calm.
“Another important thing he shared was that Dani Alves told his original version of events when he was in shock and changed his version of events afterwards to protect his wife because he didn’t want her from found out about his infidelity. ”
The 39-year-old Brazil international, who played twice at Barcelona before joining Mexico club UNAM Pumas last year, claimed before his arrest last Friday that he had never met his accuser.
He is said to have confessed to having sex with her when he was questioned by a judge after his detention on suspicion of sexual assault.
SECURITY CAMERA RECORDINGS
The alleged contradictions in his statements have been linked to witness statements and CCTV footage showing the couple entering the toilet at legendary Barcelona nightclub Sutton, where the 23-year-old woman says she was raped.
Most read in the Champions League
Alves switched lawyers and hired high-profile Mr Martell, who former team-mate Lionel Messi has used in the past to defend himself in his tax fraud case, after reports surfaced of the changes in his version of events.
Overnight, Joana Sanz, Alves’ Tenerife-born model wife, who had shown her support for her husband after he was first linked to the alleged nightclub sex attack, removed almost all photos of them together from her Instagram profile.
The few remaining images of them are linked to advertising campaigns.
The couple married in Formentera off Ibiza in 2017.
Following the footballer’s arrest, Joana – who brought Alves back to Spain from Mexico following the death of her mother – wrote in a social media message: “I ask the media that is outside my home at this moment to please my privacy respect.
“My mother passed away a week ago and I have only just begun to accept that she is no longer with me to agonize over my husband’s situation.
“I lost the only two pillars in my life.”
CLAIMS THAT SEX WAS CONSENT
Hours before he was remanded in custody and before reports surfaced that he was now admitting to having sex with his accuser but claimed it was consensual, she posted a photo of them holding hands with the caption “Together” in English.
Alves’ ex-wife has openly defended the player, who was sacked by UNAM Pumas after his arrest.
Dana Dinorah said earlier this week: “I’m still in shock. It seems like a nightmare and it’s not happening.”
The Brazil-based businesswoman insisted she believed the father of her two children was innocent, saying in an interview with a Spanish TV show: “Dani would never, ever do that.
“I say that because I’ve known him for 22 years and have been married to him for 10 years.
“It was a shock for me and my children.
“I have two teenage children who are suffering.”
It was initially reported that Alves was accused of putting his hands in his accuser’s underwear at the nightclub, before it emerged that the woman had claimed she had been slapped in the face and raped in a toilet.
Court officials have confirmed that Alves is being investigated on suspicion of sexually assaulting a woman, but have not confirmed the exact nature of the allegations against him.
His new lawyer is expected to file for bail soon, arguing the footballer poses no risk of absconding.
Even if he is released from prison in the next few weeks, he is expected to remain in Spain and his passport will be confiscated while the criminal investigation continues.
Investigations such as those currently being conducted by the investigating magistrate can take months and even years in some cases, although they expedite their investigations as quickly as possible when suspects are being held in jail.
Those under formal investigation can be imprisoned in Spain for up to four years without charge, although the normal limit is two years.
Formal charges are only brought in Spain when an investigating magistrate determines that there is sufficient evidence to conduct a trial and then requests the prosecutor to bring charges.
Both the prosecutor and a lawyer acting for Alves’ female accuser are expected to oppose any bail requests made by his lawyer.
The final decision on a conditional release would be made by a higher court and not the one currently investigating the footballer.
https://www.the-sun.com/sport/7246019/dani-alves-changed-story-events-sexual-assault-infidelity/ Dani Alves changed the version of events leading up to a “rape in a nightclub” to cover up fraud, his new lawyer claims