CRISTIANO RONALDO continued to blush after a public snub from Napoli.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner was looking to leave Manchester United this summer but couldn’t find a club willing to take him on.
Serie A big boys Napoli are said to have been in talks to sign Ronaldo before the window closed last week, although sporting director Cristiano Giuntoli insists that was not the case.
He said: “I’m sorry to say but we’ve never really negotiated with Man United to sign Cristiano Ronaldo this summer.”
Ronaldo was keen to leave Old Trafford to play football in the Champions League.
United initially refused to sell the Portuguese striker but eventually changed their stance.
But he has been snubbed by several big European clubs, including United’s Premier League rivals Chelsea.
FC Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid also decided against signing the 37-year-old, whose fans publicly asked the club not to sign him.
Ronaldo has started just one of United’s six Premier League games so far this season due to lack of proper preparation.
However, manager Erik ten Hag has refused to guarantee the superstar will be at The Theater of Dreams after the January transfer window closes.
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE BET OFFER – GET £50 BACK IN CASH
He said: “Like I said, Ronaldo is here. And as we all know, he had no pre-season.
“You can’t miss pre-season. It’s a base. Especially with the game we play, how we want to play.
“We don’t play like last year, there’s no comparison.
“That requires cooperation and some positioning both in and out of possession. The other thing is his fitness.
“But it’s still early in the season. We have a squad. We have more than 11 players – and you can see that now.”
Ronaldo and his Manchester United team-mates will be back in action on Thursday, welcoming Real Sociedad to their first Europa League Group E game at Old Trafford.
FREE BETS AND SIGN UP OFFERS – THE BEST DEALS FOR NEW CUSTOMERS
https://www.the-sun.com/sport/6156729/cristiano-ronaldo-transfer-news-napoli-snub/ Cristiano Ronaldo takes a fresh blow as Napoli become latest team to ruin transfer talks for Man Utd star