There’s only one thing forwards dream of other than securing a Champions League medal for their club – and that’s becoming top scorer.
Well, Karim Benzema did both last season as the Frenchman secured the golden boot with 15 goals and contributed to Real Madrid’s 14th triumph in club football’s top division.
However, Benzema is already facing stiff competition from some familiar faces this time around.
And it’s no surprise that Manchester City’s goalscorer Erling Haaland is at the top of the charts as he’s been breaking all sorts of records this season.
Who are the favorites to be the 2022/23 Champions League top scorer?
Karim Benzema has surprisingly not scored yet this season but the Real Madrid sniper will undoubtedly be the favourite.
It’s also hard not to include Robert Lewandowski as a front runner given his fantastic start at Barcelona.
But there’s a lot of chips being placed on Erling Haaland, who is in phenomenal form for Manchester City.
Unknown contenders for the top scorers include Bayern Munich’s Sadio Mane, sought-after Shakhtar Donetsk striker Mykhaylo Mudryk and a certain Argentinian magician Lionel Messi.
Champions League top scorer 2022/23
Here are this season’s top Champions League goalscorers as of Thursday 6th October
5 Erling Haaland (Man City)
4 Leroy Sané (Bavaria)
3 Jude Bellingham (Dortmund)
3 Robert Lewandowski (Barcelona)
3 Mohammed Kudus (Ajax)
3 Kylian Mbappe (Paris)
3 Noah Okafor (Salzburg)
3 Giacomo Raspadori (Naples)
3 Piotr Zielinski (Naples)
Who has previously won the Champions League Top Scorer award?
Cristiano Ronaldo is the leader in the number of top scorers won after winning it SEVEN times, while Lionel Messi is close behind at six.
- 2021/22: Karim Benzema (Real Madrid) – 15th
- 2020/21: Erling Haaland (Dortmund) – 10th
- 2019/20: Robert Lewandowski (Bayern) – 15.2018/19: Lionel Messi (Barcelona) – 12
- 2017/18: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) – 15th
- 2016/17: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) – 12th
- 2015/16: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) – 16th
- 2014/15: Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Neymar (Barcelona), Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) – 10th
- 2013/14: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) – 17th
- 2012/13: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid) – 12th
- 2011/12: Lionel Messi (Barcelona) – 14th
- 2010/11: Lionel Messi (Barcelona) – 12th
- 2009/10: Lionel Messi (Barcelona) – 8th
- 2008/09: Lionel Messi (Barcelona) – 9th
- 2007/08: Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United) – 8th
- 2006/07: Kaka (AC Milan) – 10th
- 2005/06: Andriy Shevchenko (AC Milan) – 9th
- 2004/05: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United) – 8th
- 2003/04: Fernando Morientes (Monaco) – 9th
- 2002/03: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United) – 12th
- 2001/02: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United) – 10th
- 2000/01: Raul Gonzalez (Real Madrid) – 7th
- 1999/2000: Mario Jardel (Porto), Rivaldo (Barcelona), Raúl González (Real Madrid) – 10th
- 1998/99: Andriy Shevchenko (Dynamo Kyiv), Dwight Yorke (Manchester United) – 8th
- 1997/98: Alessandro Del Piero (Juventus) – 10th
- 1996/97: Milinko Pantić (Atlético Madrid) – 5th place
- 1995/96: Jari Litmanen (Ajax) – 9th
- 1994/95: George Weah (Paris Saint-Germain) – 71993/94: Hristo Stoichkov (Barcelona) – 5th place
- 1992/93: Franck Sauzée (Marseille) – 5th place
What did Karim Benzema win as Champions League top scorer?
French striker Karim Benzema’s 15 goals helped Real Madrid win the Champions League last season.
And being named UEFA’s Player of the Year was also an important factor.
After accepting his award, Benzema said: I’m really happy
“It’s the first time I’ve won this trophy, but for me the most important thing is to win trophies with the team.
“Mr. Ancelotti is the best coach in the world; He gets every player right, he gives us confidence and he tells you what to do before every game.”
https://www.the-sun.com/sport/6362250/who-are-champions-league-top-scorers/ Champions League top scorers 2022/23: who is leading the race?