British teenager died of allergic reaction in Mexico after just THREE mouthfuls of burrito – and waiters ‘refused to help’

A BRIT teenager died after eating just three bites of a burrito during a trip in Mexico, a coroner ruled.

Joe Dobson, 19, suffered the fatal allergic reaction after eating the meal with sesame seeds in the beach resort of Playa del Carmen.

Joe warned employees he would die if he ate sesame

2

Joe warned employees he would die if he ate sesamePhoto credit: Getty
The staff at the Playa Del Carmen restaurant (file photo) did not help Joe when he went into anaphylactic shock

2

The staff at the Playa Del Carmen restaurant (file photo) did not help Joe when he went into anaphylactic shockCredit: Alamy

Joe, who was allergic to sesame, eggs, milk and peanuts, had gone to a local fusion restaurant with friends – a restaurant he had been to before.

As he ordered, Joe repeatedly asked restaurant staff in English and Spanish to make sure his meal did not contain sesame, the coroner’s court heard.

But after just three bites, his friends said Joe knew there was sesame in his veggie burrito. However, they claimed the staff didn’t seem to care about his allergy and didn’t want to call an ambulance.

Joe had left his EpiPen — his emergency treatment for acute allergic reactions — at his AirBnB, and by the time his friends picked it up and used it, it was too late.

Ukrainian forces shoot down a Russian helicopter in a Call-of-Duty-style video
I was drafted into Putin's genocidal war and I want to escape

Londoner Joe was unable to breathe and passed out. A police car took him to the hospital but doctors were unable to revive him and he died that same evening.

In a statement read outside the South London Coroner’s Court in Croydon, Joe’s friend Harriet Preston recalled: “Joe ordered a vegetarian burrito and said no sesame and used the Spanish word.”

“When the food arrived it was sent back as Joe thought it had sesame in it.

“Joe tried to tell the restaurant staff in plain English that if he eats sesame he will die.”

The young woman described how, when Joe’s food came back, Joe held his flashlight over it to look for sesame seeds.

“He took two bites and said no, that’s tough.

“He went to the bar staff, they denied it. He could feel it in his throat.

“He said he needed an ambulance but the staff was reluctant.

“The staff did not handle our situation as it was. There was no basic first aid or knowledge.”

Coroner Mark Taylor explained that staff told Joe to drink some honey and lemon juice.

“He apparently did that to keep her quiet,” Taylor said.

Finally, the coroner added: “It seems very clear to me that Joe did everything he could reasonably have done to warn the restaurant not to serve him any food with sesame seeds and even checked himself out.

“And it’s very clear to me that it was the sesame in the restaurant’s dishes that caused the allergic reaction.

“Joe acted unknowingly when he ate the food with sesame seeds, which caused the fatal reaction.

“This shouldn’t have happened and it should have happened to someone like Joe at his age.”

The restaurant was not named.

Just last month it was revealed that another British teenager died of a severe allergic reaction after sipping a pina colada on Spain’s Costa del Sol.

Shiv Mistry, 18, was unaware that the cocktail was made with milk cream instead of the typical coconut cream.

Last week, an inquest also learned how mum-of-five Celia Marsh, who suffered from a milk allergy, developed anaphylaxis on the floor minutes after eating a £3.75 vegan wrap from Pret a Manger.

Avon Coroner’s Court in Bristol heard how the flatbread had been contaminated by milk.

Following the verdict, her husband Andy, 51, who described his wife as his ‘best friend’, said: ‘Any manufacturer that makes something that is then labeled ‘free from’ has to take responsibility for testing to ensure it does is exactly that.

“I want to see testing at every stage of the process to make sure nothing goes through the cracks and to provide a safety net.

“Allergy sufferers currently only rely on the packaging saying ‘free from’.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/6350952/allergic-brit-teen-died-eating-burrito-in-mexico/ British teenager died of allergic reaction in Mexico after just THREE mouthfuls of burrito – and waiters ‘refused to help’

DevanCole

Daily Nation Today is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@dailynationtoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button