BRIAN Laundrie’s parents are set to provide a major update on the Petito family’s lawsuit as their attorney says “we are prepared for anything.”
However, if the jury trial happens, it won’t start any time soon.
A jury trial was scheduled for the week of August 14, 2023 at the South County Courthouse in Venice. Floridaaccording to court records.
The case still faces the possibility of being dismissed after the laundries’ attorney, Steve Bertolinopreviously submitted the application for dismissal on 30 arguing that her clients exercised their constitutional right not to speak and “constantly relied on an attorney to speak for them”.
Pat Reilly, Petito and Schmidt’s attorney, narrated WFLA that he is preparing to file the amended complaint to state “separate pleas on behalf of the Petito family against the laundries.”
A decision on whether to dismiss the lawsuit is expected after Judge Carroll reviews the revisions.
Bertolino told the outlet that regardless of the changes to the amended complaint, his clients will continue to seek dismissal.
“We are prepared for anything,” said Bertolino.
Still, Reilly says he has a “high level of confidence” that the lawsuit will reach a jury trial if it’s not settled out of court.
“The court must determine whether the motion to dismiss is well founded, which I believe is not the case,” Reilly told the outlet.
“WITHOUT BASIS AND LIGHT”
The laundries’ attorney previously released a statement to the media, calling Petito’s lawsuit “baseless and frivolous.”
“A motion to dismiss Gabby Petito’s parents’ baseless and frivolous lawsuit has been filed in court,” Bertolino said.
“The laundries have exercised their constitutional right not to speak, relying on an attorney to speak for them. This is not only common practice in our civilized society, but embodies the exercise of fundamental rights under the United States and Florida Constitutions.”
He continued: “Laundries’ rights are inalienable and laundries can never be held liable for the legitimate exercise of their legal rights.
“I and my colleagues at Trombley & Hanes, who are representing Chris and Roberta Laundrie in this matter, remain confident that the constitutional rights of all citizens of this country will be protected by the dismissal of this lawsuit.”
The lawsuit was filed last month by Joe Petito and Nichole Schmidt, who claimed Laundrie’s parents knew their son had murdered the 22-year-old vlogger.
The laundries are also accused in the process of having helped their son escape United States after the murder.
“It is believed, and therefore asserted, that… Brian laundry notified his parents, Christopher Laundrie and Roberta Laundrie, that he had murdered Gabrielle Petito,” the complaint reads.
“On the same day, Christopher Laundrie and Roberta Laundrie spoke to Bertolino and sent him an advance on September 2, 2021.”
The document also claims Laundrie exchanged text messages between his phone and Petito’s after her death “to hide the fact that she passed away”.
Pat Reilly, representing Petito and Schmidt, was asked if there was any evidence to support the allegations. He told WFLA, “You’ll have to wait and see.”
“If we didn’t believe it was true, we wouldn’t have included her in the complaint,” Reilly added.
The Petitos filed the lawsuit on March 10.
We pay for your stories!
Do you have a story for The US Sun team?
https://www.the-sun.com/news/5127606/brian-laundries-parents-update-petito-family-lawsuit/ Brian Laundrie’s parents give big update in Petito family lawsuit as lawyer says ‘we’re prepared for anything’