A 14-year-old boy tragically died after being stung by a box jellyfish with giant tentacles 6 meters long.
The teenager was enjoying a day out at the famous Eimeo Beach in Queensland, Australia before the fatal accident.
According to reports, he emerged from the water around 2:30 p.m. Saturday with tentacles more than two meters long wrapped around his arms and legs.
Witnesses rushed to perform CPR on the teenager after his heart stopped.
Police said the 14-year-old boy was taken to Mackay Base Hospital at 3:22pm.
Paramedics resuscitated the teenager for 40 minutes before he died in hospital, an hour after arriving.
Kirby Dash said she was at the beach celebrating her mother’s birthday when she saw the boy come out of the water.
She said she saw the boy stumble from waist-deep water with a ‘confusing expression on his face’ before attempting to groan for help, Daily Mercury report.
“He was shocked,” she said.
“His legs are covered with tentacles.”
Ms Dash said lifeguards and beachgoers rushed to the boy’s aid as parents shouted for their child to get out of the water.
A group of young men and her brother Dash helped rescue workers with first aid while others provided water and towels.
Eimeo Surf Life Saving club president Ross Gee said the teenager drank 30 liters of vinegar as the group tried to remove the nibs from his legs and arms.
“We were there when he got out of the water, quickly then he lost consciousness,” he said.
Police say surf crews finished sweeping the jellyfish nets on the beach just 15 minutes before the incident.
The beach will be closed for the rest of the weekend and residents have been asked to stay away from the water.
The tragedy is the third fatal case of box jellyfish since 2006, when a 17-year-old was stung near Cape York in Queensland’s far north last February.
Box jellyfish are named for their distinctive shape and may be called sea wasps.
They have deadly tentacles covered with microscopic poison darts that can kill people and animals.
The poison acts quickly and can lead to paralysis, cardiac arrest or even death, all within minutes of being stung.
https://www.the-sun.com/news/4777434/boy-14-dies-after-6ft-jellyfish-sting/ Boy, 14, dies after being stung by a box jellyfish when the creature wrapped ‘6ft’ tentacles around him