THE father of the accused Highland Park gunman will be charged in connection with the July 4th mass shooting.
Robert Crimo Jr., father of suspected gunman Robert “Bobby” Crimo III, has been charged with seven counts of reckless conduct.
Lake County Attorney Eric Reinhart announced the charges, saying they are related to Crimo Jr.’s sponsorship of his son’s Illinois gun owner’s ID.
“Parents and guardians are in the best position to decide whether their teen should have a gun. You are the first line of defense. In this case, that system failed when Robert Crimo Jr. sponsored his son,” Reinhart said.
“He knew what he knew and he signed the form anyway. This was criminally reckless and partly responsible for the physical harm suffered by the victims on July 4th.”
Crimo Jr. was charged with one count for each death in the mass shooting and turned himself in on Friday.
He has to appear in court on Saturday.
Crimo III faces 117 charges in the parade massacre that killed seven and injured dozens more.
His father initially said he had no regrets sponsoring his son for a FOID card that allowed him to buy guns legally – even after Crimo III was involved in incidents that raised alarms with the police.
Describing the shooting as a “nightmare,” Crimo Jr. said his family was just as shocked because he believed his son was raised with good manners.
“You know, I’m in transition right now. Of all. emotions. I mean it’s just, it’s numbing and I don’t know how else to explain it. Like I’m in a bad dream right now,” he said in July.
Crimo Jr. said he never expected his son to do such a terrible thing.
“As a father, I pretty much lost a son,” he said.
In an interview with ABC News, Crimo Jr. said he knew his son owned a gun but was unaware of the other guns he bought, including two high-powered rifles.
Crimo Jr. ran for mayor of Highland Park in April 2019 and lost.
That same month, a police report revealed that Crimo III’s mother told officers her son had “attempted to commit suicide with a machete” and that he had previously attempted suicide several times.
The Highland Park Police Department determined that Crimo III posed a “clear and present danger” after a family member claimed in September 2019, according to police records, that he had threatened to “kill everyone.”
“Making threats against the family — I think it’s taken in a context where it’s like a kid’s outburst, whatever he was upset about,” Crimo Jr. said.
Three months later, Crimo Jr. sponsored his under-21-year-old firearm owner’s ID.
The FOID card was approved by the Illinois State Police and renewed when the younger Crimo turned 21.
When asked if he felt guilty for sponsoring his son, Crimo Jr. said, “Guilty, no. He did everything alone.
“I completed the consent form to allow my son to go through the process that the Illinois State Police put in place for an individual to obtain a FOID card.
“As if that were all, a consent form for my son to go through the process. They do background checks.”
https://www.the-sun.com/news/6934894/robert-crimo-jr-highland-park-shooting/ Big update as Robert Crimo Jr., the father of the Highland Park Parade ‘mass shooter’, is hit with 7 charges after a fatal massacre