A BABY has died in a hot car after dad forgot to take her to daycare and parents were taken to hospital in ‘shock’
The 14-month-old was found dead in his father’s boiling-hot vehicle in Bordes, south-west France, on Wednesday afternoon.
The child’s father – an employee of the Safran airline company – is said to have forgotten to drop his child off at daycare opposite his work place in the morning before leaving for his shift, according to BFMTV.
The boy was found dead in the vehicle while temperatures in the car park reached 22C.
French police have launched an investigation into the case, saying the baby died of “suffocation and dehydration”.
It was the baby’s mother who alerted authorities that her child had not made it to daycare Wednesday afternoon.
She arrived at the crèche at 4.30am and immediately noticed he was not there and informed the staff and local authorities of the missing tot.
Firefighters and ambulances were called to the scene around 5 p.m. and attempted to revive the child.
“No one heard the slightest sound,” prosecutor Cecile Gensac said, adding that emergency services were unable to save the baby.
She said: “When the firefighters and Samu service arrived at the scene, they tried to resuscitate the child to no avail.”
Prosecutors said they were investigating “manslaughter,” according to La Rep des Pyrenees.
She suggested the father – believed to be in his 40s – had forgotten to drop his son off on the way to his nearby daycare job.
She said: “The father then realized he had forgotten the child in his vehicle parked in the car park and had found it dead on the way there.
“No one had heard the slightest noise as the car park was very extensive.”
The parents – who have no criminal record and have an older child – were taken to Pau hospital “in a state of shock”.
Meanwhile, the city’s mayor, Jean-Christophe Rhaut, described the baby’s death as a “catastrophe” and said the crèche staff and children were heartbroken over the incident.
He ordered a two-day closure and dispatched a psychologist to the kindergarten to help the staff and the children.
Officials are scheduled to perform an autopsy in the coming days.
https://www.the-sun.com/news/5843473/baby-dies-in-hot-car-parents-hospitalised/ Baby dies in hot car after dad ‘forgot to take him to daycare’ as parents rushed to hospital with ‘shock’