World

At least 23 holidaymakers were rushed to hospital with vomiting and itching after being “poisoned” at a Spanish hotel

A HUGE chlorine leak at a Mallorca hotel has poisoned more than 20 people, including children.

Rescue services from the Spanish holiday hotspot have rushed to the site of the chlorine leak at Hotel Sea Club in the resort of Alcúdia.

At least 23 people are being treated after a chlorine leak at a Mallorca hotel

3

At least 23 people are being treated after a chlorine leak at a Mallorca hotel
The leak was reported at the Sea Club Hotel in Alcúdia

3

The leak was reported at the Sea Club Hotel in AlcúdiaPhoto credit: jet2holidays
Several children are said to be among the injured

3

Several children are said to be among the injuredPhoto credit: jet2holidays

Mallorcan publication Cronica Balear reports that more chlorine than normal may have been added to the pool.

Hotel guests became ill around 12:30 p.m. local time (11:30 a.m. BST) in the pool area of ​​the Sea Club Hotel in Puerto de Alcúdia.

According to the Spanish newspaper Ultima Hora, shortly after noon, bathers complained to lifeguards at the hotel pool, who then sounded the alarm and ordered everyone out of the pool.

Some holidaymakers quickly developed symptoms such as vomiting, skin irritation and itching.

Early reports claim that the pool channels, which regulate the amount of chlorine, became clogged and ruptured.

This set off a large toxic yellow cloud that floated over the pool, which was being used for an aquagym class at the time.

Health workers treated the victims in the garden area of ​​the hotel and gave them oxygen.

In addition, hotel staff helped evacuate the site.

At least 23 people have been affected so far, including a “significant” number of children, with local reports claiming the death toll could be rising.

Diario de Mallorca reports that at least 10 children are being treated for symptoms including eye irritation and coughing.

A child under the age of seven is in a serious condition in the hospital.

A dozen have been transferred to different hospitals in Mallorca.

The Mallorcan Fire Brigade, Civil Guard and local Alcúdia police were rushed to the scene and a field hospital was set up in the pool area where the leak occurred.

So far the pool remains closed to guests while emergency crews are on site.

The Civil Guard has launched an investigation into the circumstances behind the alleged chlorine leak.

Chlorine is usually a gas, but it is usually pumped into pools in either powder or liquid form.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/5697787/majorca-gas-leak-hotel-swimming-pool-alcudia-spain/ At least 23 holidaymakers were rushed to hospital with vomiting and itching after being “poisoned” at a Spanish hotel

DevanCole

Daily Nation Today is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@dailynationtoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button