By: Erika Stanish/KDKA-TV News
CORAOPOLIS, Pa. (KDKA) – At least 200 people have reported falling ill after several events at the Marriott Hotel in Coraopolis.
CONTINUE READING: West Deer Township man faces nearly 300 animal cruelty and neglect charges
The Allegheny County Health Department confirmed to KDKA Friday that it is investigating reports of gastrointestinal illness following three major events at the facility on April 2 and 3.
The Marriott told KDKA it had deep cleaned the hotel to cover both norovirus and coronavirus and notified the health department. A spokesman said it would “proceed with regular disinfection protocols as norovirus appears to be widespread in the county.”
The first event affected was a bridal shower that took place at the hotel on Saturday afternoon. The family told KDKA that about 36 hours after staying at the hotel, 70 people became nauseous.
A wedding was held there later on Saturday night. Natalie and Armando McNary said of the 155 present, 80 had reported illness so far.
“Everyone will remember our wedding as the wedding that made everyone sick,” said Natalie McNary. “I mean, people thought they were on their deathbeds. It’s gotten that bad.”
She said it wasn’t long before family and friends reported an illness.
“Everyone was texting us saying they were throwing up and going to the bathroom for 12 hours at a time,” McNary said.
People who attended a football banquet the next day had the same experience.
“People haven’t gone to work for days. People lost a lot and we lost a lot too,” McNary said.
CONTINUE READING: Stowe Township shooting injured 1
UPMC’s medical director for infection prevention and hospital epidemiology said norovirus is highly contagious and causes diseases in the gastrointestinal tract.
“Vomiting is incredibly common. They may also have lower gastrointestinal symptoms, particularly diarrhea,” said Dr. Graham Snyder.
He said after a person is exposed, it only takes a day or two before they start showing symptoms.
“It can contaminate food that you prepare, so you usually get infected with norovirus either by eating food prepared by someone who is contagious with it or by exposure to the environment that is contaminated with norovirus,” he said snyder
He said the best thing a person can do if they have it is stay home.
“In addition, appropriate hygiene, especially when using the bathroom. Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands,” Snyder said.
He said it’s also important to clean surfaces, especially in the bathroom or other shared surfaces. He said the best cleaning supplies are bleach and hydrogen peroxide wipes.
“Fortunately, people rarely need to be hospitalized and very rarely end up dying,” Snyder said.
“I just hope the Marriott does this right for us,” said Armando McNary.
The Department of Health’s food safety program has completed an investigation at the facility and continues to work with the epidemiology program as part of an ongoing investigation into the diseases.
MORE NEWS: 19-year-old accused of killing his girlfriend’s 2-year-old daughter makes his first appearance in court
“If you think you may have attended a potentially affected event, please contact the Health Department at 412-687-2243. Health officials may attempt to contact attendees and staff at facilities associated with the events. Anyone suffering from a serious illness should see their doctor,” the health department said.
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2022/04/08/200-people-sickened-coraopolis-marriott-hotel/ At least 200 people fell ill after events at the Coraopolis Marriott Hotel – CBS Pittsburgh