ANTHONY JOSHUA expects to have a contract to fight Tyson Fury ‘within the next few days’ – paving the way for the Battle of Britain.
AJ’s promoter Eddie Hearn held talks with Frank Warren’s son George last week during which a take-it-or-leave deal was offered.
And following orders from Joshua, Hearn confirmed they were ready to accept terms, which included an admission of a 60/40 financial split.
Speaking on his Matchroom Boxing channel, he said: “On Friday I met George Warren and we had an offer to fight.
“We were not happy with all the terms and we tried to negotiate those terms but we were told there was no negotiation, it was do it or don’t and we accepted it.
“We accepted the offer in writing on Friday.
“I spoke to George Warren again this morning and we expect to get a contract in the next few days and hopefully we can continue the fight.
“There is no reason against that, the key data have been agreed, there is a broadcast situation to be clarified, which is extremely positive at the moment. We are in a good position at the moment.”
The fight will come as an unexpected instant world title shot for Joshua, 32, who is returning after back-to-back losses to Oleksandr Usyk.
Usyk, 35, was then scheduled to face Fury, 34, in the first heavyweight division four-belt unification bout.
PADDY POWER BET OFFER – GET £50 BACK IN CASH
But the Ukrainian has ruled himself out until next year after returning to his war-torn home and family for the first time.
So Fury, coming out of retirement announced in April, surprisingly turned to AJ to fight before the end of the year.
Hearn looked to bring Joshua back in the ring in December in a confidence-building fight.
But the opportunity to challenge for Fury’s WBC belt while settling their long-standing feud has proved too good to turn down.
Hearn said: “He felt this was his opportunity to get the fight with Tyson Fury.
“I think Mr Fury has a lot to offer, but for us it wasn’t about the money.
“We weren’t allowed to negotiate; in every deal you negotiate we have been told in no uncertain terms, ‘don’t move, take it or leave it’.
When is Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua? Everything you need to know about the Blockbuster fight
“We were treated like the B-side going into the fight and it came down to AJ wanting the fight.
“I always have my doubts about Tyson Fury but everything I hear from George Warren I believe and they say the right things.
“They say 100 percent they want the fight and if they do, they’re going to get it.”
The grudge fight is set for December 3 at Cardiff’s 75,000 seat Principality Stadium.
Fury is tied to an exclusive deal with BT Sports while Joshua’s brand new deal with DAZN begins with his next fight.
But the sports-streaming service recently launched a pay-per-view platform, allowing for a rare duel at the box office.
Hearn said: “These talks are already underway and I don’t see why an amicable solution can’t be found.
“The broadcasters could stop this fight, but I don’t think they want that. It is in everyone’s interest that this fight takes place.”
https://www.the-sun.com/sport/6215308/anthony-joshua-tyson-fury-fight-contract-broadcaster/ Anthony Joshua expects Tyson Fury fight contract ‘in the next few days’ and station situation ‘extremely positive’