A TEENAGEMAN allegedly murdered his five family members and three years later one of the victims’ cellphones was unlocked and placed in evidence at his trial.
Mason Sisk, 17, is on trial after being accused of shooting dead his parents and three younger siblings, ages six, four and six months, in Elkmont, Alabama, in September 2019.
The then 14-year-old reportedly shot his father, John Sisk, 38, his stepmother, Mary, 35, and his three young siblings, Kane, Aurora and Colson, in the head before calling police and saying he was in the prison’s basement home when he heard gunshots.
While police found John and Mary’s phones in 2019, it took the FBI three years to get into the stepmother’s phone, which they did on Wednesday, day three of the trial.
The defense claimed that the messages on Mary’s phone showed a loving relationship between her and her stepson, but prosecutors said the messages did not help Sisk’s team.
A court hearing was scheduled for Monday after the FBI found evidence in the case on Mary’s phone.
The judge also ordered that John’s phone be made available to Sisk’s attorneys within 21 days.
Police have previously found another piece of evidence – the pistol they believe Sisk murdered his family, dumped on the side of the road near Sisk’s home.
Police said it was illegal in the house.
After the murder, “Sisk ran out the door and very little other information was given,” said Steven Young, spokesman for the Limestone Sheriff’s Office.
Young added there were “inconsistencies” in the boy’s testimony, and when confronted by officers he “admitted to shooting the five family members.”
Before allegedly murdering his family, Sisk tried to poison his stepmother by putting peanut butter in her coffee — he knew she was allergic, according to court records.
The documents also allege that Sisk threatened his father and was harsh on his three younger half-siblings, News19 reports.
According to Sisk’s cousin, in the weeks leading up to the shooting, Sisk “exhibited problem behavior at school” and burned animals alive, reports WAFF-TV.
Although police are yet to confirm a motive behind the massacre, Sisk allegedly carried out the shooting shortly after Mary was discovered and did not give birth to him, a family member said.
Sisk’s father, John, filed for sole custody of his son back in 2010.
He said the boy’s mother, who died the following year, had not been in her son’s life since 2008 and had told a court she was struggling with alcohol and drugs.
He was placed in emergency custody after she was found dead.
“NO INDICATION OF REGRET”
Limestone County Juvenile Probation Officer Tara Pressnell said, “Mason doesn’t seem bothered that he’s accused of murdering his family.
“He has shown no sign of remorse.
“During his detention he didn’t talk about his family at all.”
Sisk was charged with multiple capital murders as an adult, but if convicted, he will not face the death penalty because of his age at the time of the massacre.
In 2019, a neighbor said: “This is surreal. Now he has no one. He brought it on himself.”
A new hearing is scheduled for February 13.
Both the prosecution and the defense can deal with the new evidence in the meantime.
https://www.the-sun.com/news/6258098/mason-sisk-family-massacre-new-evidence/ A major update in the case of a teenager who ‘killed five’ is announced after important new evidence emerges