Lifestyle

4-year-old girl who died of sepsis ‘could have been saved if doctors had acted sooner’

A four-year-old girl has died of sepsis after being sent home by doctors with a ‘bug in her stomach’, an inquest has been launched.

Little Skyla Whiting was taken to hospital in Wales by her mother Amy Whiting, who said she ‘could have been saved’ if doctors had acted sooner.

Little Skyla Whiting was unwell and was vomiting and had a red rash on her body as her mother sought help.

3

Little Skyla Whiting was unwell and was vomiting and had a red rash on her body as her mother sought help.Credit: WNS
Sklya, 4, is pictured above with mom Amy Whiting and her dad

3

Sklya, 4, is pictured above with mom Amy Whiting and her dadCredit: WNS

Ms Whiting said staff at Nevill Hall Hospital in Abergavenny made her feel as though she was an ‘inconvenience’ and told not to bring Skyla back.

The girl had been vomiting and had a red rash but was diagnosed by a general practitioner at the hospital as having a viral infection.

Mrs Whiting decided to take her child to another hospital in Cardiff after she said she had lost ‘all faith’ in the staff there.

After being admitted to University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, Amy, in Blaenavon, Gwent, was told Skyla was “severely ill” and had toxic shock syndrome.

Toxic shock syndrome is a rare, life-threatening condition caused by bacteria entering the body and releasing harmful toxins, says the NHS.

It can affect anyone of any age.

What are the symptoms of toxic shock syndrome?

Toxic shock syndrome can happen to anyone.

Here are the symptoms you need to know about:

  • high temperature
  • flu-like symptoms
  • bewilderment
  • shortness of breath
  • dizziness and fainting
  • sunburn that spreads like a rash
  • feel sick
  • diarrhea
  • lips, tongue and whites of eyes turn red

The source: NHS UK

Ms Whiting told the inquest she realized there was “no more they could do” when a nurse asked her if she wanted Skyla to be baptized.

“I believe opportunities to save Skyla’s life were missed at Nevill Hall hospital,” she said.

In a report following the death of pediatrician Skyla, Professor Parviz Habibi, said: “In my opinion, an opportunity was missed to consider Sepsis on the evening of May 13, 2018.”

“The diagnosis of sepsis should have been made,” he said.

“As for the possibility, Skyla’s life would have been saved if such actions had been taken.”

A second report from another physician, Dr Robert Scott-Jupp said: “In my opinion, on balance of probability, she would have survived if earlier intervention, i.e. intravenous antibiotics, would have been given to her to survive. circuit.”

The investigation at the Newport Civic Center continues.

Aneurin Bevan University Medical Council, which oversees Nevill Hall Hospital, said it would make an announcement once the investigation is complete.

An investigation heard that the little girl would have survived had earlier intervention

3

An investigation heard that the little girl would have survived had earlier interventionCredit: WNS
The boy’s mother, 4, who lost the battle to sepsis after a ‘smashing’ hospital error when an autopsy found the boy died of natural causes

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun news desk?

https://www.the-sun.com/health/4102871/girl-died-sepsis-could-saved-doctors/ 4-year-old girl who died of sepsis ‘could have been saved if doctors had acted sooner’

PaulLeBlanc

Daily Nation Today is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – admin@dailynationtoday.com. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Related Articles

Back to top button